TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can't shift into first.
alexjlarocca Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I can't get my buggy to shift into first. I'm new to VW's so I could use some help! It's a 6-rib transimission and has a Scat shifter. It happened after a short ride, and I got it home starting in 2nd...but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

oldschool5er Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 am

A number of things can cause this that are internal to the trans but before that you need to eliminate the possibility of a shifter linkage issue first. Check the mounting bolts holding the shifter down, if they loosen up the shifter can move and you loose the adjustment. Look at the shifter closely and check to make sure it hasn't broke something. then move to the coupling going to the hockey stick going into the transmission look for any setscrews being loose or any slop in the connection. More than likely it is in the linkage somewhere front to rear and should be checked first. Do all the other gears selections work OK? Especially reverse? If everything externally checks out you might be pulling the trans and it's nosecone to inspect the internal shift linkage before you end up tearing the rest apart.