TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wrong shifter for 63 bus?
05gh Sun May 31, 2015 6:47 am

Need help on shifter 1963 bus.
I'm not sure if I have the correct shifter for mine 1963 bus. It is hard to shift. See picture(dimensions a metric). Beside of that the cabin floor has been replaced perhaps whis a different model year? And how fit the pin of the shifter in to te shift rod?

EverettB Sun May 31, 2015 8:43 am

Shifter thread from FAQ
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190619

From that thread and the Gallery
On the left is a 60-65 shifter.
On the right is a 66-67 shifter.

Looking at the the length of the shifter under the small circle at approx. 30mm on your ruler, it looks like you have a 66-67 shifter.
You need the one on the left.

Quote: And how fit the pin of the shifter in to te shift rod?
There is a slot on the front shift rod. The pin goes into that slot.
Example (3 on the left are slotted):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=99810

05gh Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks, I do have a pushrod where the pin slides in. (all 3 looks the same form me). And I do understand dat there are also different mounting cubs with dat holds te shifter in place?

EverettB Sun May 31, 2015 10:24 am

The 3 on the right all look the same from that angle. They are different lengths and shapes for different years but you can ignore that as it doesn't apply to your shifter problem.

You need the right shifter.

Quote: And I do understand dat there are also different mounting cubs with dat holds te shifter in place?
I don't really understand what you are saying here.
The piece that holds the shifter in place, the one with the 2 bolt holes, is the same for all 60-67 "bent" shifters as far as I know.
Earlier Buses have a straight shifter, the mounting base may be different for those.

05gh Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 am

bracket, im not sure i have a bus model. It fits but it could be one from a bug?

EverettB Sun May 31, 2015 5:20 pm

In your first photo above, it looks like your base is 60mm tall.

I looked at the original shifter in my 63 Bus and it is 60mm tall too.

05gh Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:50 pm

I have change the shifter with the left model as shown on picture previous post, problem solved. Thanks!