TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hydraulic adjustable suspension system Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
demon1018 Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Ive been working on this for a while and wanted to share what im up to! some of you might have seen my build thread on here of my bus with the hydraulic adjustable torsion springs.. it has been on the road for over 2 years now with a but load of miles put on it with zero issues.. lots of people asked if i could do that to there's so i am putting together kits to do this.. there not ready yet but im hoping to be done by nov and unveiled at bug jam.Ive done my wifes 66 bug as well but i still need to be paint it so its not on the road yet. The pan is done and powdercoated. iv done the beam in a 63 ghia and im working on the rear as we speak. no cutting for the beam install on type one and just a little cutting on the bulkhead in front of the beam on a type 2...nothing at all structural . The new bus beam is built but im waiting on delrin to make bushings... Im not using urethane, then ill post a vid of it working .
Also doing a bug irs conversion to the 58 panel we are working on now, same as i did on my bus, so i though i'd post some pics of how i am doing it. ill keep posting as i go.

demon1018 Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Some videos of the action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm5AFwklrE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rnovkGLxPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aD7lC8PcRI

More to come!

demon1018 Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 pm

one more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJoMbNSlQOQ

zuggbug Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:40 am

Very not ce work

demon1018 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:17 pm

well the delrin showed up today so i made the beam bushings for the panel bus hydraulic beam.. hopefully tomorrow we can try it out!!

cdennisg Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Damn nice work, man. Keep posting up here. We would all love to see the progression.

GTV Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:30 pm

The pixels make me feel dirty!

Red Fau Veh Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:52 am

Wicked awesome! I need another bus now so I can lower it with hydro! 8)

tarzan271 Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:06 am

GTV wrote: The pixels make me feel dirty!

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out why he pixelated a couple of photos.

Awesome work. I love his videos of the working system. No need to wait for air compressors.

mandraks Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:01 am

tarzan271 wrote: GTV wrote: The pixels make me feel dirty!

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out why he pixelated a couple of photos.

Awesome work. I love his videos of the working system. No need to wait for air compressors.

he probably forgot to shave some of the parts

demon1018 Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 pm

thanks ! i have been working on this for a while and will be producing kits for type 1 and 2 vws.. im not one to just throw something out there and let the customer deal with it...it will be perfect! my bus has had zero issues in over 2 years of driving it all over the place everyday. I know it will be copied, probably half assed copied after its out but im not letting the cat out of the bag until im ready to sell.. hope you understand. anyway front beam is in and working today!!

steering box hit the ground so we removed it for now.. i already raised the center pin when i built the beam. the side plates have 8 degrees caster built in. it will steer nice!!

demon1018 Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:20 pm

heres a vid of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfU8j0v9hAg

cdennisg Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:29 pm

demon1018 wrote: heres a vid of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfU8j0v9hAg

Amazing to see just how far the wheel moves fore and aft in the wheel well during the up/down stroke.

Nice work.

VWsArent4Hippies Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

Oh, and how much for a set of delrin bushings? :D

cdennisg Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

Looks to me like his setup rides on the stock torsion leaves, and is adjusted by the hydros.

VWsArent4Hippies Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 pm

cdennisg wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

Looks to me like his setup rides on the stock torsion leaves, and is adjusted by the hydros.

Ohh, that makes sense. I guess it would help if I actually looked at pictures haha.

campingbox Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:03 pm

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: cdennisg wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

Ohh, that makes sense. I guess it would help if I actually looked at pictures haha.

I would expect the leaves just hold it together and offer zero support. Usually the hydraulics feel like a wet sponge unless they are fully extended. I feel like You need to get some gold plated d's on that thing - ASAP.

cdennisg Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 pm

campingbox wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: cdennisg wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

I would expect the leaves just hold it together and offer zero support. Usually the hydraulics feel like a wet sponge unless they are fully extended. I feel like You need to get some gold plated d's on that thing - ASAP.

Looks to me like it rides on the leaves for support, the hydro just moves the adjuster up and down. Seems pretty slick to me, no Gold D's necessary. :wink:

demon1018 Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:53 am

campingbox wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: cdennisg wrote: VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

Not at all correct!! The hydraulic cylinder turns the part in the center of the beam that holds the torsion leaves. The top and bottom adjusters are linked together so the both move at the same time. It rides completely on the torsion springs when it is off the ground. The hydraulic cyl doesn't move at all when you drive..the suspension works just like it did when it was stock...it's like having adjusters that you can adjust on the fly!

demon1018 Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:56 am

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Cool, how does it ride? It's always been my experience that hydraulics ride a little rough.

I'm working on that too! The bushings were time consuming! I need to get them cnc'd