TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1967 fastback Engine removal help!!
cody67fastback Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am

This is my first project car although I'm not new to working on cars. I recently bought a 67 fastback runs and drives. Has leaks on both engine and transmission so I'd like to drop both install all new gaskets. It also needs timing done. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to go about this starting with removal of the engine?

Air-Cooled Head Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 am

Welcome to The Samba, and the wonderful(?) world of ACVW. That looks like a nice project you've got.
To remove the engine; There are 4 bolts that connect engine to trans. The top 2 can be seen in your picture. The fuel hoses (in the pic) just about circle them. There are 2 more, in about the same place on the bottom. The 2 on the bottom are nuts that go on studs. The top, right one (less rusty in the pic) also goes thru the starter. All 4 will need to be removed.
You'd also need to remove 2 bolts from the engine hanger (the white thing, bottom center of the pic) but it looks like you don't have them. There should be 2 bolts and some spacers. You'll need them @ reinstall time.

Of course, disco the fuel line, and electrical connections to the car.

Since the engine drops out, some will say jack the car up, put it on jackstands, then use the jack to lower the engine. Some will say the opposite; lower the engine, then jack the car up to where it will slide out. You'll have to figure out which way works best for you.

Go slowly, since you'll probably miss some wiring, as this is your first time.

Removing the trans is a little more complex (not really harder, just more to do) since it's a swing ax.
I'll let someone else explain that, as I have to get back to work. :(

Good luck!

one4house Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:54 am

Air-cooled has you sorted out on the removal.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that I was hot on your heels of buying that car. The seller sure was a talker.

I called 2 days before you were going to drive up and look at it. From what he told me, you got yourself one hell of a ride. Have fun with that one.

My only experience with type 3 transmission removal is for an automatic. I have yet to tackle a standard, so I am going to be of no help to you. Just go slow, take your time and some pictures along the way. The pictures will help with reinstall.

sctbrd Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:00 am

ATV jack highly recommended- engine can sit without rocking and you can test run the motor before installing with a starter bracket from Zalex Industries.

vwfye Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:24 am

I have to use my ATV jack with 4x4s on it as it won't get quite high enough when I put the car way up on the stands.

I know... don't put the car soooo far up, but I like to get under there and inspect things and well... I'm fat!

tperazzo Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:41 pm

sctbrd wrote: ATV jack highly recommended- engine can sit without rocking and you can test run the motor before installing with a starter bracket from Zalex Industries.

Hi Scott, how did the starter adapter work for you? Nice car!

sctbrd Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Adapter worked great- fit up without any problems.