TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VWNoob here, brace yourselves for a couple questions..
VWNoobie Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Hey all, I have couple more questions about my Dune buggy. any help would be great.

1) I have a 2110 Turbo motor, running NGK plugs, what are you turbo guys gapping to?

2) I test drove the buggy around the block a couple times, when I give it gas it pops and spits any ideas what could be causing this? It has a Dellarto carb, not sure the model.

mark tucker Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 pm

welcome mr vwboobie,#1 I dont run turbo.but if I did the gap would be dependent on the ignition system.
#2 ...something is rong.
#3 might need tune up...
#4 might need more..
#5 stay tuned for more updates and more info.

Boolean Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 pm

You are going to answer a lot of questions before we can help you.
Is the engine new? As in, never ran well - or did it happen suddenly?
Do you figure the plugs are the problem due to the gap?
More specs on the engine, and we like pictures. Lotsa pictures.

Brian71 Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Are you boosting when it "pops and spits"?

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Boolean wrote: You are going to answer a lot of questions before we can help you.
Is the engine new? As in, never ran well - or did it happen suddenly?
Do you figure the plugs are the problem due to the gap?
More specs on the engine, and we like pictures. Lotsa pictures.

-Engine not new, I'm the third owner, but very low hours/miles.

-Previous owner said its has always ran great, not issues, but has been sitting for two years.

-Just don't know what to gap new plugs at, the old plugs are black, so I think its time for new one.

-Pictures to come soon.

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Brian71 wrote: Are you boosting when it "pops and spits"?

don't think so. basically when I put it in first, smash the gas to get to second, it bitches the whole way...

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:21 pm

PITCTURES!

modok Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Some of that is beautifully made. If whoever built it is still alive, I think you should find out who they are and ask about tune up stuff like ignition timing and jetting and fuel pressure and lash and oil and stuff like that. Then again some of that buggy is from the 80's, maybe there is no mastermind behind all of it.

Get a manual and exploded diagram of that carburetor and study it so you can clean out the carb yourself. Sitting two years, and with so much dust coating the outside, certainly may need to be cleaned out. Airfilter setup and float vent are NICE, but that won't prevent stale gas.
Usually VW noob+turbo=engine go boom. But if you can learn fast enough then that can be avoided.

I'd run the gap at .025"-.028"
But the carburetor setup and ignition timing I cannot guess.

Howard 111 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:21 pm

I run .045 gap with MSD Billet Distributor, Coil, and MSD 6BTM. Smooth as silk until you floor it, then hang on.

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Howard 111 wrote: I run .045 gap with MSD Billet Distributor, Coil, and MSD 6BTM. Smooth as silk until you floor it, then hang on.

I pulled the old plugs, the ones in the pic above, they are gapped at .055, does that sound big?

Howard 111 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Try .040 and see how it does. .055 is a HUGE gap!

modok Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes, if the gap is over .030 and not running CDI, it is most likely wrong.

The pictures show a compufire wasted spark system, and with this I would expect a misfire over .030" gap at 8psi boost.

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Thank you guys, ill give that a shot..

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:30 pm

modok wrote: Yes, if the gap is over .030 and not running CDI, it is most likely wrong.

The pictures show a compufire wasted spark system, and with this I would expect a misfire over .030" gap at 8psi boost.

The previous owner says it runs about 10 psi at top RPM, if that means anything.

modok Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Cool!
The big gaps are probably not related to your running issues, but it certainly won't hurt to fix it.

It might have always bogged real bad, or maybe it is a new problem, you just don't know.
The intake manifold size may be too big for it, and the result is a big BOG when throttle is opened quickly, worse when cold.
to make it nice and responsive I'd run 1 1/2" OD intake tube, and the one on it looks bigger than that.

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 pm

modok wrote: Cool!
The big gaps are probably not related to your running issues, but it certainly won't hurt to fix it.

It might have always bogged real bad, or maybe it is a new problem, you just don't know.
The intake manifold size may be too big for it, and the result is a big BOG when throttle is opened quickly, worse when cold.
to make it nice and responsive I'd run 1 1/2" OD intake tube, and the one on it looks bigger than that.

The engine size is 2110, not sure the intake size

modok Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks big........

If the carb is working tops, and ignition system good, and there still some annoying bog that might be the next place to look.

some think bigger=better....... but too big is bad too, and it does not have to be huge when you are pushing the air in with a turbo anyway.

VWNoobie Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 pm

modok wrote: Looks big........

If the carb is working tops, and ignition system good, and there still some annoying bog that might be the next place to look.

some think bigger=better....... but too big is bad too, and it does not have to be huge when you are pushing the air in with a turbo anyway.

What is the best way to measure it? sorry if that is a stupid question...

modok Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Dial calipers
20$ at harbor freight.

VWNoobie Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:16 am

Hey guys, thanks for your help with this, I went and got new plugs, gapped them at .035 and now it runs amazing! No popping or spitting and it hauls ass lol. I will be getting the manual for my carb soon to learn how to service it myself. Again, thank you for you help with this!