TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Filter Pump install questions
dcnal Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks for stopping by.
I bought a 1972 Beetle w/stock 1600 7mo. ago.
It had sat up a while, oil was pretty sludgy but I changed/flushed a few times and it has been my daily driver ever since. Runs great and has nice oil pressure even at hot idle. (installed mini oil pressure gauge on engine)

I have a CB 26mm Melling filter pump and want to install to make sure the bearings last even longer. I know it is not as good as full flow,but it is better than no filter.
I have never swapped a pump out other than on rebuilds years ago (late 70's thru late 90's). I'm back in Bugs after a long break.
Now the questions.
I'm thinking after making sure this is a dished cam in motor of course, Installing pump and checking tang for cam slot engagement with clay, checking gear clearance on pump cover. Provided this is a dished cam(riveted),I won't have to worry about cam bolt and clearance issues on the pump,right?
I'm still thinking I should install, hand turn the motor a few and pull pump to check for marks/clearance issues.

Am I missing anything? Part of me is thinking the old"if ain't broke,don't fix it" line. lol
Thanks for your time,
David

[email protected] Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:30 am

dcnal wrote: Thanks for stopping by.
I bought a 1972 Beetle w/stock 1600 7mo. ago.
It had sat up a while, oil was pretty sludgy but I changed/flushed a few times and it has been my daily driver ever since. Runs great and has nice oil pressure even at hot idle. (installed mini oil pressure gauge on engine)

I have a CB 26mm Melling filter pump and want to install to make sure the bearings last even longer. I know it is not as good as full flow,but it is better than no filter.
I have never swapped a pump out other than on rebuilds years ago (late 70's thru late 90's). I'm back in Bugs after a long break.
Now the questions.
I'm thinking after making sure this is a dished cam in motor of course, Installing pump and checking tang for cam slot engagement with clay, checking gear clearance on pump cover. Provided this is a dished cam(riveted),I won't have to worry about cam bolt and clearance issues on the pump,right?
I'm still thinking I should install, hand turn the motor a few and pull pump to check for marks/clearance issues.

Am I missing anything? Part of me is thinking the old"if ain't broke,don't fix it" line. lol
Thanks for your time,
David

You pretty much covered it. The only thing to look out for once you get it installed is to make sure the crank pulley isn't rubbing on the lower pulley tin.

dcnal Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks,I'll check for the pulley rubbing too.
I appreciate your help Roy.