TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help me get rid of my dual cannons.
Aerindel Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Looking from something quiet and affordable to replace dual cannons on my rail buggy. I have 8" of space between my pulley nut and rear tubing. No heater boxes.

bugguy076 Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 am

I'm not sure if there is enough room to install a bobcat style system.
How about replacing the round mufflers with some type of oval quiet mufflers( using the exhaust pipes)?

gt1953 Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 am

I do not like the sound of those at all. I bet you could cut those off and weld in some sorta muffler to quiet that down, still provide the spark arresting needed.

blacktruck Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:02 am

put a stock muffler on there
quiet 8)
looks like a bus muffler with a creative tailpipe may work(they use a single outlet thats just tube)

mark tucker Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 am

kymco/scat baja style with turn down or stinger should fit fine and there extreamly well made.I went through about 7 headers before I found one that was made right( most were junk and collector not made corectly) for my personal car I have the turn down with a muffler on it.

[email protected] Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:48 am

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Bobtail-Heade...sspack.htm

or

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Bobtail-Header-and-Quiet-Pack-Muffler-p/bobtail-quietpack.htm

Aerindel Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Quote: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Bobtail-Header-and-Quiet-Pack-Muffler-p/bobtail-quietpack.htm

hmm.....that looks like exactly what I need, but I see that it requires 12" clearance from the #2 port, I have 10 3/4" directly across from the port, It tapers out to a max of 13", 8" above #2....but given the oval shape of the muffler it seems that It may just barely fit.... The header would certainly fit...if I just got it in raw steel it probably wouldn't be hard to cut and weld the muffler pipe to position it a little higher where I have better clearance if I had too, I have 20" to work with above the #2 so there is a lot of room to go up....and that would put an exhaust pipe right next to my carb and air cleaner so it would be easy to fabricate a hot air intake which is something else I want to do.

To make my clearance a little clearer, in the picture, its 10 3/4" behind the bumper, and 13" behind the next horizontal bar up, and 20" to the top bar.

leelorr Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Bobtail with the quiet pack muffler in raw steel also. It looked to like the easiest way to get all the pieces I needed and looks like it wouldn't be too hard to reposition the muffler for more clearance. Might have a muffler shop do that if I can't make it happen. I don't know if you noticed that the Bobtail has the heat riser flanges, which is also why I went with them instead of the Bobcat model. Since I knew I would be welding on it I didn't get the ceramic coated version.

Aerindel Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Just installed my bobtail quiet pack from aircooled.net

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy with it. Only took me about 30 minutes to remove the dual cannons and install the quiet pack. It fit with maybe 1mm to spare but it did fit. I had to cut and rotate the exhaust nozzle as the way it was stock it was aimed straight at my frame but that was no big deal.

I dont have the heat riser set up yet since I want to do a full flow setup but even without heat risers I've noticed an immediate improvement in drivability. Over all power and acceleration feels about the same but it runs smoother and has less hesitation..and the popping when going down hills is completely gone.

And of course, the sound...its not as quiet as my subaru but its so much better. I can actually listen to my ipod without earmuffs and the sound of the wind is louder than the engine above 20MPH.

So not as if this is a surprise to anyone but here is another condemnation of dual cannon exhausts.

Next thing do is invent a hot air intake, it shouldn't be that hard, the main pipe runs right next to my air filter.

HRVW Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:27 am

:) I had the Dual Cannon on a 40HP 83BB engine in a glass buggy back in 1971. It had the throaty sound like the early Glass packs on American cars.

Never that loud and no tickets to worry about.

[email protected] Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 am

Picture?

Aerindel wrote: Just installed my bobtail quiet pack from aircooled.net

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy with it. Only took me about 30 minutes to remove the dual cannons and install the quiet pack. It fit with maybe 1mm to spare but it did fit. I had to cut and rotate the exhaust nozzle as the way it was stock it was aimed straight at my frame but that was no big deal.

I dont have the heat riser set up yet since I want to do a full flow setup but even without heat risers I've noticed an immediate improvement in drivability. Over all power and acceleration feels about the same but it runs smoother and has less hesitation..and the popping when going down hills is completely gone.

And of course, the sound...its not as quiet as my subaru but its so much better. I can actually listen to my ipod without earmuffs and the sound of the wind is louder than the engine above 20MPH.

So not as if this is a surprise to anyone but here is another condemnation of dual cannon exhausts.

Next thing do is invent a hot air intake, it shouldn't be that hard, the main pipe runs right next to my air filter.

Aerindel Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Her are a few pics. Now that I know it works I'm going to take it apart and build a heat exchanger for a heated intake around the accumulator pipe. Should be pretty slick since its right next to my air filter it should be as simple as making an oversized pipe around the exhaust and running it into an air box.

Another question I have is if its worth it to paint the exhaust with high temp paint. Does that stuff actually live up to its temp claims or is it basically useless?

Like I said, mm's to spare.

[email protected] Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 am

Looks like it was made to fit there!

PS: Change your sig now LOL