TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Acrylic enamel or urethane
rubadubdub Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 am

Hi there,
Sorry for the odd question, but an acquaintance of mine bought the contents of a bankrupt autobody shop. He gave me lots and lots of mistints for free. Unfortunately not many have labels. I know some are Acrylic enamels and some are acrylic urethanes. Is there a relatively easy way to tell the two apart? Smell? A test of some sort?

dirtkeeper Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 pm

The urethane will have distinct smell but I am not sure how to describe. But if smell to much of that urethane stuff you"ll kill yourself or at least some brain cells. Unfortunately if you don't know the product name you may not know how much and what kind of hardness and thinners you"ll need to use them.

rubadubdub Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:51 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I do know what hardeners and reducer to use as all the products are from the same paint system. I just don't know how to tell if it's urethane or enamel. I guess I'll be doing some experimentation. I haven't done any sniffing! I hardly have any extra brain cells to spare...

Air-Cooled Head Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 am

dirtkeeper wrote: The urethane will have distinct smell but I am not sure how to describe.

That was my exact thought. Put it this way: Urethane will put you on your butt in just a sniff or two. Enamel is slightly more forgiving(?)