TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bumper install info
VdanielW Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm looking for an exploded view of front and rear brackets and bumpers for my 64. I've done several searches, but can only find images of the bumpers, not necessarily the brackets. Also, are there specific distances the bumpers should be away from the hood and decklid?

hitest Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm

The only good exploded views I've seen are on the Wolfsburg West site. They at least show relationships of the parts. The thing is, there are only two brackets- front or rear, they simply flip sideways for right vs. left mounting.

The brackets only mount at one depth- with just a little "slop" in the oval holes to allow final tweeking. It's the clownshoes from east Asian countries who think VW brackets should have holes so far away from the inner-most mounting stud that the brackets won't stick out enough to protect the car! Also, You will have a hard time mounting cheap bumpers on VW brackets and vice-versa. VW bumpers (and WW's) have a rather pronounced radius. This means the centermost part of the bumper's arch front and rear is furthest from the body of the car. Cheap bumpers have a flatter arch. What does this mean? Well:

Up front: the bumper will fit too close to the fenders, because the mounting position of the bumper blade is too close to the car. Also, they look flatter, like they've been hit at low speed. Look in the galleries to compare bumpers from the 60s to early splits- the old bumpers were flatter to the front of the car.

On the rear end: This is the worst part. The flatter arch means there is less clearance to your deck lid! When you have to step on your bumper to open your engine lid- that's a problem. But not for East Asian bumpers-that's just fine and dandy. The brackets are often drilled with the holes further from the front end of the bracket- so if you follow me, when they are bolted to the car- they "suck in" an inch closer to the car! German brackets allow the wide, larger radius bumpers to clear, and allow some wiggle room if you are in a low speed accident. The brackets spread a little like they should, and you can still open your deck lid.

What is my conclusion about all this? A beetle equipped with all factory bumper gear is, say 13'5" long. One with Asian bumpers, about 13'-2". Those extra 3 inches can mean you're better protected in an accident (certainly from the bumpers hitting the fenders) and it simply looks normal. I can spot non-og bumpers on a beetle at a bout 50 yards.

Bumper rant over.

To be frank, if you require pictures/diagrams from here- you really just need to go look at an early bug sometime for yourself. They are surprisingly simple, and only go on one way. You can't put a the brackets on wrong and hold a bumper, and you can't not figure out the bumper supports when you're looking at a set.

60ragtop Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:07 pm

one from the gallery with extra inner strengthener installed

VdanielW Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Awesome info on that and thank you for the pic! I will mock them up and make any modifications to the bumper bracket where they mount up to the body for proper clearances around fenders, Decklid, and hood.

61SNRF Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:42 am

The Bentley service manual has a few paragraphs and photos showing how they look and mount.

I find it easier to mount the grommets in the fenders first, then install the bare brackets and over rider support tubes leaving the bolts loose.

Next build up the assembly one part at a time on the car again leaving all the bolts loose until they are all started. This way you can tweak one way or the other for alignment, with final tightening once satisfied.

I'd say you space them as far from the body as the bracket holes will allow, especially in the rear where if too close the deck lid will hit and not open/close.

So the bumper fits the brackets squarely, make sure you install the reinforcements between the blades and brackets...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111707121

Last, don't over tighten the chrome stove bolts that hold the blade to the brackets or the bumper can cave in which looks like sh*t.

VdanielW Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:02 am

Thanks for the tips!

notsnarb Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:57 am

From VW parts book

Zwitter Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:31 am

Good idea to have a helper during the process. 4 hands work better.

VdanielW Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:42 am

Yeah. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow. I'll rack it up and get some help.

VdanielW Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:11 pm

So I got the front bumper installed. It really was a line up nightmare, but I got it in fairly even. I had a heck of a time getting the overrider support tubes to align up and had to really do some bending to the mounting brackets. This is an aftermarket bumper kit I got from SoCalImports about 15yrs ago for my other bug, but never got around to installing it. Also, some body repairs this bug has had didn't help.
Thanks for the help guys

mallred Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Quote: They at least show relationships of the parts. The thing is, there are only two brackets- front or rear, they simply flip sideways for right vs. left mounting.
This is correct IF you are buying aftermarket brackets.
Factory brackets up through '67 do indeed have a left and right. :wink:

hitest Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:12 pm

mallred wrote: Quote: They at least show relationships of the parts. The thing is, there are only two brackets- front or rear, they simply flip sideways for right vs. left mounting.
This is correct IF you are buying aftermarket brackets.
Factory brackets up through '67 do indeed have a left and right. :wink:

True true! Thanks for clarifying- I should have been clear in my opening statement! 8)

paddyo Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 pm

On rear bumper brackets for a 65 bug, I have the stock brackets with a dimple on one side. I mixed them up during the painting project and am installing a new bumper with overriders. I understand that pre-67 bugs with factory bracket have a right and a left one. How does one tell the right from the left for installation purposes? I am trying to avoid unnecessary experimentation. :oops: Thanks.