TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 63 ragtop junk yard project Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Kadixon76 Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Found this in a junk yard, owner said its a 71 he thinks, I know that's not the case. Seems to have mixed year parts that I can see.

Pans are totally gone, driver front fender is caved in, hood looks like it was sat on several times, generator pulley is gone, but other than that engine looks complete. Could not get a chassis number "didn't have a Phillips screw driver" interior is completely trashed, but seems complete. Owner is asking $500. And does NOT have a title.

Thoughts on a year, if my research is correct the engine number puts it at a 58.
Having to get a title, and the need of a complete resto, is it worth picking up, and starting to bring her back to the road?

Thanks for your thoughts!

61SNRF Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Quick glance says it's a Deluxe '62 wearing it's original paint and Hassia tail light housings (that OE vendor used a red oxide sealer/primer on theirs) with as you say a ~'58 36hp engine.

The Ragtop and roof section alone is worth ~$500.

What are you waiting for, a suitable trailer? :D

Keith Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Beryl green '63. As for "mixed year parts", I'm not seeing anything else. Engines can and often DO get changed in our vintage VW's so, don't go by the engine number to determine year. I'd snatch it just for it's parts if there were no way at all to title it or stick another pan under it that has a title.

caleb0101 Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Do you have any pictures of the ragtop handle, door jams where the hinges mount, dash, or body tag?

Kadixon76 Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:25 pm

These are the only other photos I have. The rag top handle was missing.

Keith Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Kadixon76 wrote:

These are the only other photos I have. The rag top handle was missing.

Looks like a May of '63 build date.

caleb0101 Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Ok by the body tag it looks to of been built in May of 63
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Kadixon76 Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 pm

thanks for the info.
I've tried finding how to read the nose tag, but haven't found any good info that I can understand. If you have a link, or a place here with it, I'd love to be learn how to read and understand them.

61Ragster Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

May '63.

Dake Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm

500 I hope your going to pick it up. Id be all over it. Nice find :D

Thor_orr Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 am

I'd low ball him. Tell him 71s have little to no value and you will have to sink alittle cash into getting the title Say you just want a few parts but would like to have the whole thing. Nice find!!

iowegian Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 am

Thor_orr wrote: I'd low ball him. Tell him 71s have little to no value and you will have to sink alittle cash into getting the title Say you just want a few parts but would like to have the whole thing. Nice find!!
Good plan, Stan.
It's always a great day when you can lie and cheat somebody.

61Ragster Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:59 am

iowegian wrote: Good plan, Stan.
It's always a great day when you can lie and cheat somebody.

^ ^ :lol:
just make a counter offer. Skip all the double talk and BS.....

Kadixon76 Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I've never had to deal with a title situation like this. Went and talked to the title people at the county today, they said I would have to apply for a bonded title, wait 2 years, if there are no issues in that time a " new" title could be issued.

Anyone ever dealt with that before? Is the "new" title a legit one, or is it the same a salvage. I am going to get the car, but want all my ducks in a row before I start any work. Don't want to mess with the title red tape, if I'd be better off finding a donor with a clear title, ect..

Thanks again for y'all's feed back.

Harrison Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm

I agree, skip the double talk and bullshit and just make the guy an offer. Why people have to feel like they always beat someone in a deal is beyond me.

In Tennessee I can fill out a Affidavit of Ownership (available at the DMV website) and apply for a title. I don't even have to have a bill of sale or previous owners signature. Six weeks later, the state sends me a clean title in my name with no inspections by law enforcement.

I would NOT rely on the local DMV workers to know the details of the process in your state. Before I went to the state's website and read the process for myself, I got a different story at every county DMV office I walked into.

Most importantly though - get that car bought ASAP. I'd be all over it at $500.

JH

hitest Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Follow Thor's advice and have a CV axle shoved up your ass- or make a reasonable offer and enjoy owning it.

Kadixon76 Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Well, I offered the guy $400, and he jumped on it. Drug her home today.

stale air Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Nice, you got a good buy for $400. So, what are you going to tackle on her first?

Kadixon76 Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Well I've filled two large outdoor trash bags with falling apart interior, seat cushions, leaves, misc shoes, and general filth from the inside. This is going to have to be a 100% restoration I think, drivers seat fell though the floor while we were trying to get it on the trailer! heater ducts are shot! lots of sheet metal work. As far as what to tackle first..... I'm at a loss. I've never tried a project this large. Scouring the treads trying to find a similar year car that is/has done this much work.

Kevin

hitest Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Kadixon76 wrote: Well, I offered the guy $400, and he jumped on it. Drug her home today.

This is great news. It's pretty rough- but fun. If things get too dicey, you'll always triple your money on it.