TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Chunks of Metal in Oil Page: 1, 2  Next
rossl1 Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:21 pm

So I bought my first Sand Rail back in May. I have made good progress on it I have rebuilt the front end, changed out the throttle pedal, adjusted the breaks ect.

I have moved on to regular maintenance for the the engine. I set the points, valves, and changed the valve gaskets. Today I changed the oil and to my dismay I found metal chunks, shards, flakes, and some sludge.

Here is a picture of the biggest metal chunks. I put a nut next to it to show the size. That is a 9/16 nut.

I have put about 50 miles on the rail since I bought it and haven't noticed any run ability issues besides some minor electrical. I haven't checked compression yet. That will be my next check once I get the tool.

What should I do from here? Keep driving it until I have major break down? Tare it apart to assess the damage/rebuild? Buy a used motor in better condition? New long block?

I want to go the most economic route as I don't want to dump lots of money on a motor. At least not all at once and have the wife go bonkers.

WILDHARE54 Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 pm

DOES THE METAL APPEAR TO BE MAGNESIUM OR ALUMINUM.
COULD BE A PISTON SKIRT COMING APART IF IT IS ALUMINUM. IF MAGNESIUM THEN ITS PART OF THE CASE.

TDCTDI Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:13 pm

The only nut of that style inside the engine would be a connecting rod nut, those pieces look suspiciously the same size as the rod, almost like it was clearancing the case itself. I would definitely investigate further before running it again.

rossl1 Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:02 pm

The nut did not come out of the engine. I just put it in the picture to give a sense of scale. I think I will change the oil out again soon to see what else comes out. I would like to enjoy it for the rest of the summer! :cry:

I will try and figure out what kind of metal it is. I keep you guys posted.

EnjoyNukaCola Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:09 pm

DAANG!

Dale M. Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 pm

WILDHARE54 wrote: DOES THE METAL APPEAR TO BE MAGNESIUM OR ALUMINUM.
COULD BE A PISTON SKIRT COMING APART IF IT IS ALUMINUM. IF MAGNESIUM THEN ITS PART OF THE CASE.

Psssst.... Ditch the CAPS, it like yelling on these forums....

Dale

Brian Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 pm

I vote split the case

Vanapplebomb Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Brian wrote: I vote split the case

Mhmm, X2. Split it and see where it came from. Could be nothing or it could spell the end of the engine. Could be salvageable with a little work or you could leave it and possibly destroy it beyond repair. Choice is yours. :wink:

B Ramsey Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Those are big ass pieces, if that is a 9/16" nut.

B Ramsey Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Those are big ass pieces, if that is a 9/16" nut.

tripicana Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:50 am

Is it leaking oil? It looks like case pieces to me...

rossl1 Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 am

I agree I think they are case pieces. They are roughly 3/4'' at the longest point. I will try and burn some of it to see if it is magnesium today. I don't have any major leaks like a hole in the case if that is what you are thinking.

It has a stock oil filler and it seems like it isn't breathing correctly which I believe was making it leak more oil because when I stuff a rag in it the leak got much better. If there isn't sufficient relief in the case could that cause major damage like that?

sloboatnova Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

I wouldn't run it till breakdown as you might destroy other perfectly good parts like rods/crank, etc. Split the case to at least investigate.

dustymojave Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:02 pm

If the pieces are not from inside the case, they had to have been put in there by the last person who was inside the thing. I recommend against running that engine until it has been completely apart and put back together with any damage inside fixed. And you had probably better not try to ignite the pieces either. If it IS magnesium, and I can't imagine what in the world it could possibly be that is NOT mag, it will not be possible to put it out until it has burned out completely.

Vanapplebomb Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Those definitely look like magnesium to me. No sense risking good parts as other posters have said. Split that sucker. :wink:

B Ramsey Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:08 pm

the case is trash anyway, I would run it. when it blows, get another.

sloboatnova Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:01 am

I burned an entire case half in a campfire. It was awesome, but definately cannot be put out. It sparked and flashed for 45 minutes. Just gotta let it burn till it's done. Don't do it in a fireplace. Outside only.

HERC Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:18 am

Hard to say, objectively, as I've received motors with all kinds of random shit in the bottom.
I never usually say this but I'm with ramsey. Pull the plate and screen and scrape as much of the bottom as you can, re screen and plate, then have fun.

Vanapplebomb Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 am

B Ramsey wrote: the case is trash anyway, I would run it. when it blows, get another.

Yes, case could well be trash, but why wait for it to blow when their are probably many good parts in that engine. What a waste to just let it go, and more $$ to start from scratch if that is what it comes down to. If he splits the case, best case scenario the piece came from somewhere not important, and he seals up the case and bolts it back together. Then he is only out an hour or two worth of time, and a few cents worth of sealer for the case halves. If case is shot, reuse the crank, rods, heads if not cracked, and possibly even the Pistons and cylinders. Then just get a new case, new bearings, possibly new Pistons and cylinders, valve job on the heads, and maybe fresh can lifters, and he will be good to go for quite some time on a limited budget.

HERC Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:20 am

That doe's sound sensible. We'll just have to see what kind of man he is. Doe's he leap right into the clitoris, or knead the buttocks for awhile.