TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Road trip in a '65, what problems should I expect? Page: 1, 2  Next
Steve___ Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 am

Hey everybody. I'm Steve. I bought a '65 bus from the Samba classifieds when I was in high school and drove it through college, then moved to China. 4 years later, I'm bringing a Chinese team to America to make a travel documentary, and we are going to be driving my bus down the West coast from Washington to Southern California. For the Chinese speakers out there here is a link to info about the project: http://www.zhongchou.com/deal-show/id-146515

The bus is semi-restored. I replaced the engine with a 1900cc and added an oil cooler. The transmission has been rebuilt. The starter has been replaced. The battery is new. The tires will be new. Steering box is new. I cut out all of the rusty spots and replaced them with good metal.

I've driven several times between Phoenix and LA, and haven't had any major issues, except once when a wire shorted out and melted, (the battery had come loose and smashed against the tail light causing a short) but I've never done any long distance traveling in it. I'm really hoping I can make the time to replace the entire wiring harness, or find someone who can replace it for me before our trip begins in mid August.

So my questions are:
1. What should I expect to go wrong?
2. How should I prepare the bus for long distance travel?
3. Anything special I should pay attention to while driving?
4. What spare parts do you recommend carrying?
5. What speed do you normally cruise at? (obviously relative to engine size etc..)
6. How far is too far for a '65 bus with a new-ish motor to drive in a day?
7. Any other advice for me?

Our schedule will be fairly tight, as we will have booked interviews in advance with people all along the route, so I'm really hoping I can avoid any car-realted issues completely, or at least resolve them very quickly if they arise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Clara Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:32 am

I like to plan no more than 400 miles per day. I average 50 mph when taking into account gas and pee breaks, so that is 8 hours. Speed depends on engine size and gearing, the stock 1 ton bus is happy around 55-65, usually drive 58-62. Drop into 3rd up the passes in the Siskiyoos. This does not allow for much time to stop and do anything interesting, and would not make for a good travel documentary. It also assumes everything is tip top with the bus and nothing goes wrong. I can do more than this, but is gets really tiring. That is also interstate hwy miles... this means ... 1.5 days to Boise, 2 days to SF bay area, 3 days to LA.

I have done LA in less than 24 hours, but that is a sort of cannonball run.

Smaller roads are windier and often you have to go slower. They are scenic and take longer. For a travel documentary, if you cruise the Oregon coast, then down through the redwoods, maybe limit it to 100-200 miles a day. There are so many great views you'll want to take pictures of. Stop at the cheese factory in Tillamook. Stop and check out the beach. stop and.... We did a Oregon coast trip with Greg's parents, they had a motor home, we had a bus, and moved to a new camp site every night, but only 75-150 miles. Definitely taking it easy. Saw places with lighthouses, and beach glass, and took a boat trip up a river. Did some hiking. Found a county fair. Good times

Problems can range from nothing... particularly if your bus is a well maintained daily driver, to stuff breaking left and right. Even on a well maintained driver things can go wrong. For example, I had some bumpy back roads shake some wires loose, which was no big deal but the gas heater stopped working and it was cold. I had a push rod break, which was random and unusual, and caused a 24 hours delay making us late for x-mas with the family.

If your bus has been sitting 4 years, do a full maintenance check. You may want to replace fuel line, and check brakes particularly.
There are threads on what to carry, read up.

Where in Washington are you leaving from?

Read the threads by Peter the Czech.

Unclebon Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 am

I take this trip every year in my 66' from Seattle down the 101 to Modesto, CA to see family/friends. The problems i have had in the past were: shorted tail light, like you my battery came loose and smashed into the tail light connection. leaky carburetor , broken clutch cable and accelerator cable. I drive 50-55 and give myself 3-5 days, as Clara says there is far too much beauty to not stop and have a look. If you don't have a rack or it is easily removable id suggest stopping in at one of the giant trees that you can drive through, makes for a great photo op. Also Avenue of the Giants in Northern, CA is a must. Good Luck, I am sure it will be great.
if you are not already a member. AAA has saved me many times.

marklaken Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:34 am

1.) You should expect nothing to go wrong. Worst case, you might run out of gas far away from a gas station.
2.) Check tires, brakes, and do a tune-up. Make sure warning lights work.
3.) Don't push too hard going up hills and maintain momentum where possible. Don't drive too fast for your brakes going downhill.
4.) Bring a healthy supply of hard to find maintenance parts: carb rebuild kit, distributor parts, clutch disc, shift coupler, rear transmission seal, carb filters (if you have aftermarket air cleaner), etc. + tools to do these roadside jobs.
5.) I drive 65-75 on flats, 45-55 uphill (mine's a 1776 in a '67)
6.) A bus can go all day and night - just like a real car!
7.) Don't over-think it.

scottvw Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 am

I took a fair amount of parts and tools with me on my trip from CO to CA. I didn't use any of what I brought with the exception of a wire end. On my way home my alternator strap broke. Luckily it wasn't an issue to find one.

The fact that you have extra cooling and a new motor will be an advantage.

Here is a pic of my parts stash.

Clara Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:18 pm

scottvw wrote: I took a fair amount of parts and tools with me on my trip from CO to CA. I didn't use any of what I brought with the exception of a wire end. On my way home my alternator strap broke. Luckily it wasn't an issue to find one.

The fact that you have extra cooling and a new motor will be an advantage.

Here is a pic of my parts stash.

What about those red Solo cups? Didn't you use any of those?

crofty Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

I always bring a spare distributor too but I put it on the engine set timing and remove it with the clamp intact.

Wheelie Pete Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:51 pm

From my experience, I would suggest you read this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...385ce5e32c

Just saying ... You'll have a great time!!

Steve___ Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:02 am

Quote: I always bring a spare distributor too but I put it on the engine set timing and remove it with the clamp intact.

That is an excellent idea.

Quote: and check brakes particularly.
Yeah, last time I went home and took the bus for a spin I got a huge surprise when it jerked to the left really hard as I was stopping. Dangerous stuff. haha.

Quote: 7.) Don't over-think it.

I'm trying not to, but the Chinese I'm traveling with don't understand what an old car is like. There is a rule in China that requires all cars over 13 years old to be recycled. Its really stupid and wasteful, and because of the rule they don't understand that old cars have "personality". I'm trying to make them aware of the fact that breakdowns are a fact of life when you drive a 50 year old car, but they don't seem to get it. So its a little stressful. Especially because of the fairly tight schedule. If I was going myself I would just hop on the road and think about problems as they happened.

Quote: Where in Washington are you leaving from?
For drama's sake, probably the Canadian border. Then Port Angeles.

Quote: Just saying ... You'll have a great time!!

I hope so!

Thanks for all of the information everybody! I really appreciate the advice and ideas. I'm thinking I'll shoot for 2-3 hundred miles on the driving days (we'll have a lot of filming days in between each driving day)

BarryL Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Is it still 6 volt?

pyrOman Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:41 am

Steve___ wrote: I'm bringing a Chinese team to America to make a travel documentary, and we are going to be driving my bus down the West coast from Washington to Southern California.

7. Any other advice for me?

Our schedule will be fairly tight, as we will have booked interviews in advance with people all along the route, so I'm really hoping I can avoid any car-realted issues completely, or at least resolve them very quickly if they arise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your welcomed (in advance)! 8)

First, I would not do it in an old bus unless it was just me, myself & I. Knowing that it can all go just fine or have one or many issues along the way. Some that may be easy and quick to fix while others may need a long stay at wherever it so happens.

Now, if you are still hell bent into taking your Chinese friends in the bus, then they should be told upfront about any and all possibilities of a breakdown(s) and make sure they agree with the scenarios. As well as allowing a more flexible schedule or just plain throw the “tight” out the window.

A bus in good working order can do the trip issue-less, but one never knows when the smallest or harder to find part may fail. Driving these things every day is an adventure as it is. Good luck in your decision as well as your trip. Oh, and do tell us the story once it's all done too! :wink:

peterxxl Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:12 am

i read your bus is semi-restored... seems like all the critical parts are new or fixed... so don't worry and just go... obviously you never know what brakes but that's part of the deal.

people have been rolling in buses much worse than that.

me for example... :roll:

just go for it. bring some basic parts and tools as others suggested. if it breaks and you can't fix it easily, just call a tow truck.

good luck

vwbusman66 Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am

I think there are two schools of thought in this situation.
1. Plan to fail or you've failed to plan
2. Just go for it and enjoy you trip.
For the area you are going through, you are going to be in Volkswagen heaven. There should be a shop within 10 miles of you at any time, unlike us on the east coast.
Good luck!
JAmes

MrPolak Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:14 am

Don't replace anything just before a trip. Make sure you replace it in advance so you have time to correct any shortcomings.

Expect annoyed drivers on the interstate who will buzz your slow ass. Expect lots of strangers spilling their stories at traffic lights through their open car windows. Expect young girls to wave at you while taking pictures as if you were Justin Bieber.

Know the difference between "won't crank" and "won't start". Know how to push-start your bus, for crying out loud. Know how to do basic repairs. Also, know when to turn your phone from portrait to horizontal when taking pictures.

Hmmm... did I miss anything? Oh, yeah, take a tow strap and a sense of humor.

Steve___ Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:50 pm

I replaced spark plugs, plug wires and the distributor cap, changed the oil, adjusted valves, timing, points, adjusted the clutch and replaced the throttle cable, adjusted the carb and cleaned the air filter, replaced the entire wiring harness/fuse block and checked a bunch of other stuff and its running good and ready to go. I've got a pretty full tool set and a bunch of spares and will head off tomorrow, thanks for the advice everybody!

Malokin Martin Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 pm

A) Plan for things to fail for sure. That's part of it. Bring (within reason) a box of spares. I break down a handful of times a year to the point that I atleast have to stop and fix something for a bit.

B) Someone also mentioned travel partners above and this is an often overlooked component. I did a cross country trip with a very cool person who was (on the flip side) very uncool with breaking down. If they're not the type of person who would find sleeping beside the freeway in the back of a hot car ok ... It can seriously change the flavor of the trip.

I look at long distance trips in the bus as "controlled risk". Have fun!

joe cool Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:41 pm

Did anyone mention the AIRS list? Is that still going?

GTV Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 pm

Sounds awesome! I just moved to Seattle a few weeks ago and did a long road trip up. If you're taking the coast realize that 200 miles is a LONG day in a "normal" car. The road is twisty and beautiful around every turn with a thousand excuses to stop.

Enjoy the journey. Have faith in your machine (and a sense of mechanical sympathy). It will treat you well.

crukab Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:10 am

It sounds like your biggest issue would be the tight schedule, it usually takes longer than you think when driving a old Bus.

Clara Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:21 am

joe cool wrote: Did anyone mention the AIRS list? Is that still going?

My experience with the airs list was when I was hoped to find a part near Eugene Oregon. What I found was a bunch of disconnected phone numbers. The only person I reached was not the person listed with that number; it had been reassigned. She was really nice, but did not have any VW parts. There was one person on the list who I knew had passed away a few years before. Luckily I did manage to contact someone I knew who had the part (not from the AIRS list)

Bottom line: AIRS list is out of date.