TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: aerosol high-build primer over epoxy (Kirker to be exact)
coclimber Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:32 pm

I talked to the Kirker technical rep and I am not sure whether he was trying to "upsell" me on more Kirker products or really telling me the straight truth.

Here's the question:
Can I spray 2K Kriker Enduro epoxy primer, and then use high-build aerosol primer on top of that to fill in scratches better, etc.?

The Kriker rep said I should either just spray more epoxy primer on, or use a Kriker primer product again because the aerosol primer will not chemically bind properly with the epoxy.

If I spray the aerosol primer 3 days later after full cure and a quick scuff, I think I'd be fine. If I spray it while the epoxy is curing, maybe not?

buguy Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:38 pm

I personally wouldnt use anything aerosol on my car. Well thats not true. I usually keep a spray can of good etch primer to hit any spots I may have sanded through to metal. Also aerosol wont build anything like a good 2k primer. Id take his advice.

ExtremeBean Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:24 pm

You probably could, however, I wouldn't be worried as much of the high build primer going over the epoxy primer as I would be about what's going on top of the high build primer (I.e. your base coat) and if it's not 2k as well, you might have shrinking issues, etc, once the color is on. Just out of curiosity, you're spraying the epoxy with a gun? But want to use aerosol after that?

coclimber Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:04 am

ExtremeBean wrote: You probably could, however, I wouldn't be worried as much of the high build primer going over the epoxy primer as I would be about what's going on top of the high build primer (I.e. your base coat) and if it's not 2k as well, you might have shrinking issues, etc, once the color is on. Just out of curiosity, you're spraying the epoxy with a gun? But want to use aerosol after that?

Yes. This is for a small rear fender bender on my van from the PO. I have a 4-5 year plan to re-paint the entire vanagon. It hinges on an 11 year old dog that loves to jump and scratch my sliding door while out camping. When he dies, the van gets full restoration paint job! :D So, this is just a temporary thing in the whole scheme of things.

jspbtown Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:18 am

Just buy a quart of high build and shoot it with your gun.

Mike Fisher Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:13 am

We like spray cans in original colors from www.towerpaint.com Their acrylic lacquer base coat & clear coat gave us good results.