TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Timing a 009
Maxoceanblue Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm

I have a 1600cc AH case with a 009 distributor. I've read in multiple places to set the static timing at 5-10 degrees BTDC but in John Muir's Idiot book it says to set it at 5 degrees ATDC. Is this because this number is assuming I have the original distributor that would have come with this engine? If I don't have a timing gun is static timing going to be alright?

Glenn Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Which 009?

The aftermarket mechanical or the stock 67 vacuum?

Maxoceanblue Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Mechanical

Glenn Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:32 pm

28*-32* BTDC @ 3500rpm.... that what you set it to.

Dale M. Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:44 pm

10* ATDC, is Calif smog garbage......Uaually 7.5* BTDC is generally accepted starting point for initial "static" timing...

Dale

Maxoceanblue Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks

Maxoceanblue Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:33 am

I've put my pulley at 7.5 degrees BTDC, the PO had made a mark on the distributor and its base, I use this as a starting point but I can now turn the distributor clockwise and counter clockwise an equal amount and my static light will go out. Waiting to get a light gun.

Maxoceanblue Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:36 am

So if the test light is off and you twist the distributor until the light comes on which direction will I have to be turning the distributor?

Q-Dog Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 am

You really need to use a strobe timing light with an "009." Once you have the maximum advance of your distributor figured out, you can use a test light to time it. Different manufacturers have different degrees of advance so you need to use the light to figure out what you have.

Dale M. Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:37 am

Test light and static timing....

Put pulley at 7.5° BTDC...
Turn dist till rotor points to #1 tower...
Connect test lamp to negative side of coil & ground...
Turn key on - do not start...
IF test lamp is on turn distributor counter clock wise till test lamp goes out.....
Turn distribuitor back (clockwise) till lamp just comes on...

You are now static timed at 7.5° BTDC... This is best procedure for initial start up of fresh rebuild of engine...

To set distributor at full advance of possibly 28-32° BTDC loosen distributor and use strobe light and twist distributed to move timing mark to desired degree of advance keeping engine revved at about 3000 RPM ... Once this done the static timing is no longer applicable or relevant...

Dale

mark tucker Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am

I like max timing all in by 2500 max. most vw's Ive worked on like 27-32 degrees total. & 14-16 degrees idle with a "big" cam .

Maxoceanblue Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks. That's the exact instruction I was looking for. I've ordered a timing light. Funny you mention big cam. When I bought the car I took it in to get tuned up before I learned how to do it my self. The carb wasn't responding to any of my adjustments. The mechanic put a new carb on the car with the same result. He seem to think there may be a performance cam installed. Without opening the engine who knows. I don't have acces to the PO. So I'll try the 14-16 degrees idle to see if that works. And check idle setting with the light also?

Boolean Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 pm

You just have to pull the oil pump to see what cam it has. Might be worth it.

Maxoceanblue Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:43 pm

I'll have to look into that.

Maxoceanblue Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm

What would I be looking for if I wanted to take a look?