TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Perplexing turn signal issue
thom Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:30 am

I replaced the ignition switch in my '63 T34; the ignition switch broke, but everything else was fine (ie turn signals, high/low beam, etc) I used an NOS assembly, but the turn signal switch on that one was broken, so I swapped the old turn signal to the NOS column. I got everything installed and wired up and it worked perfectly - while the column wasn't attached to the dash. After I bolted up the column, the turn signals stopped worked. I dropped it all again, and the turn signals once again worked... I found that if I rotate the column within 5° or so of horizontal, the turn signals stop working. I can twist it back and forth all day long and it's very consistent. The wires are barely moving, and pushing/tweaking/twisting the wires and connectors has no effect. When I engage the turn signal, I can hear the relay energize, and the turn signal lights up, but it doesn't flash. The only thing I can think of is there is a 'gravitational' issue.

Any ideas?

Bobnotch Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:24 pm

thom wrote: I replaced the ignition switch in my '63 T34; the ignition switch broke, but everything else was fine (ie turn signals, high/low beam, etc) I used an NOS assembly, but the turn signal switch on that one was broken, so I swapped the old turn signal to the NOS column. I got everything installed and wired up and it worked perfectly - while the column wasn't attached to the dash. After I bolted up the column, the turn signals stopped worked. I dropped it all again, and the turn signals once again worked... I found that if I rotate the column within 5° or so of horizontal, the turn signals stop working. I can twist it back and forth all day long and it's very consistent. The wires are barely moving, and pushing/tweaking/twisting the wires and connectors has no effect. When I engage the turn signal, I can hear the relay energize, and the turn signal lights up, but it doesn't flash. The only thing I can think of is there is a 'gravitational' issue.

Any ideas?

Ground issue? Did you hook up the right colored wires to the same connectors?