TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 85.5 P&Cs on stock 1500 H case
TheAmazingDave Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:52 pm

So, after researching parts and costs, I'm coming to realize it's going to be a long time before I can build my street engine. Although I plan on starting to purchase the parts in the next month or so, I'm really anxious to get some extra power now.

I have a "1600"SP in my Super right now. I put 1600 in quotes, because this should be a 1500 engine, but the person I bought it from said it had been "rebuilt" and from my understanding, most likely has 85.5mm jugs.

I have a decent amount of blow-by. I'm going to be installing dual ICTs and a full exhaust in the next few weeks (parts from contest prize) and thought it would be a good time to freshen up a bit of the top end. Here's my plan.

I have a 1600 AH sans heads in my garage that is to be the case I build up. The 85.5 P&Cs on it right now are used, but low-mile and have been broken in. I'd like to swap these on to my engine. I'm going to install new rod bearings at the same time, and convert the heads to solid-rocker.

The question is, should the 85.5s be a direct bolt-on? I'm fairly certain that the case internals are stock. Should I take deck height in to consideration here? If so, can anyone give me a general spacer size that I'll need, or should I really measure it to be sure?

If measurement is a must, any advice to measure without a deck height tool, or is that a must as well? I plan to buy a variety of special tools over the next few months to do my build right, but I don't have anything right now. If the tool is a must, I'll add it to my cart.

spencerfvee Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:23 pm

all supers here in the USA came with a 1600 dual port motors. the last year for the 1500cc motors was 1969. yes 85.5 jugs will fit your motor . in 1970 the motors were 1600cc single port 1970 was the last year for single port motors in the USA good luck on your build spencerfvee quote="xBigDx408x"]So, after researching parts and costs, I'm coming to realize it's going to be a long time before I can build my street engine. Although I plan on starting to purchase the parts in the next month or so, I'm really anxious to get some extra power now.

I have a "1600"SP in my Super right now. I put 1600 in quotes, because this should be a 1500 engine, but the person I bought it from said it had been "rebuilt" and from my understanding, most likely has 85.5mm jugs.

I have a decent amount of blow-by. I'm going to be installing dual ICTs and a full exhaust in the next few weeks (parts from contest prize) and thought it would be a good time to freshen up a bit of the top end. Here's my plan.

I have a 1600 AH sans heads in my garage that is to be the case I build up. The 85.5 P&Cs on it right now are used, but low-mile and have been broken in. I'd like to swap these on to my engine. I'm going to install new rod bearings at the same time, and convert the heads to solid-rocker.

The question is, should the 85.5s be a direct bolt-on? I'm fairly certain that the case internals are stock. Should I take deck height in to consideration here? If so, can anyone give me a general spacer size that I'll need, or should I really measure it to be sure?

If measurement is a must, any advice to measure without a deck height tool, or is that a must as well? I plan to buy a variety of special tools over the next few months to do my build right, but I don't have anything right now. If the tool is a must, I'll add it to my cart.[/quote]

TheAmazingDave Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:27 pm

spencerfvee wrote: all supers here in the USA came with a 1600 dual port motors. the last year for the 1500cc motors was 1969. yes 85.5 jugs will fit your motor . in 1970 the motors were 1600cc single port 1970 was the last year for single port motors in the USA good luck on your build spencerfvee

Right; the 1600DP that came with my car is on the side of the house with #4 conrod fused to the crank. I had another 1600DP which we bought after bringing the car home so we could drive it around, but that engine was already on its last legs, and I had to pull it out last year due to oil leaks and bad heads. Enter the "1600"SP.