TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westfalia Measurement Question: Water Tank Filler-neck tube
DadaCheese Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Greetings,

Split-window forum visitor here.
Was wondering if there's some kind Bay Window Westfalia owner who could get a part measurement?

Specifically; what is the diameter of the Water Tank filler neck?
For Bay-Window westfalias there is finally a reproduction part.

For Split Window SO-42 Westfalias, the part appears to be almost identical, but is much shorter than the Bay version.
I'm hoping to discover if the longer, Bay-Window filler-neck is the same diameter, in which case I'll be able to just cut it down.

THANK YOU to anyone who can get this measurement for me/us.

The BAY-Window Filler Neck:

Here's the Split Window SO-42 Version:

Dana Champion Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I measured the inside diameter of the fill cap on my '70 Westfalia. It measures 1&9/16 inches. If your cap has the same measurement, should be the same diameter.

Peace

busdaddy Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:22 pm

I think he's more intersted in the neck where it meets the tank, I'll try and find one tomorrow.

Dana Champion Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Yeah, I know....

pittwagen Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 pm

1 7/16" on mine - from a 74 P27 interior.

DadaCheese Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:52 am

pittwagen wrote: 1 7/16" on mine - from a 74 P27 interior.

Thanks everyone. This is perfect. Just the info I needed.
It sound as if the diameter is the same, or close enough that it ought to work.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
I can/will try to report back once I've ordered the part.

DadaCheese Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Back again.
The part arrived from England (www.nlavw.com) today.
The pictures don't illustrate it too well, but it looks just slightly wider than the Split-Window SO-42's Water Tank Filler neck.
Not so much bigger that I don't think it will work; I think it will.

...now I just need to order a replacement water tank (again; for a Split-Window) and give it a try.

Like my original filler-neck pictured, it is a hard-type of plastic. Mine, the original, is brittle with age. I hope I get 40+ years out of the reproduction part.
Not being a plastic expert, I'll likely take it to my local TAP Plastics place and have them cut it down to size for me with the right tools.

Might be months before I get the tank/finish this project, but I'll post that result after it happens. Thanks again Bay folks!

Busdepot Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:37 am

FYI, we just started carrying these again here in the U.S.:
http://www.busdepot.com/231067291a