TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Chinese heads
mr white Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:16 pm

A friend of mine scored a container at an auction. In it were Engle cams, weber carbs, various other performance parts including big valve heads that are cut for 92s with port and polish, stainless valves 40x35.5,with dual springs, and chromoly retainers My friend wants $300 a pair. Is that a good or fair deal? I took these heads to a machinist and he thinks the price is great. But how do these hold up?

OLD VW NUT Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Photos would be helpful. Take shots of the casting marks. Its hard to know whether they'll hold up well or not without knowing who made them - or imported them. Sounds like a nice find. I might be interested in a set of heads and a cam. I'm looking to build another motor for a car I've been thinking of buying. A daily driver.

mr white Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 pm

These have no casting marks of any kind. They look sweet though. Valves are stainless. I am worried about the seats. Best I can tell they look like kustom1warehouse heads. I think I am going to buy them and roll the dice.

stan_tichomirov Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 pm

I also want a set for $300 a pair, I'll pay shipping.

Get them, they should work fine.

Stan

jpaull Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:28 pm

For 300 its worth a try!

mr white Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:31 pm

The other pair has bigger valves! And again no id marks of any kind. Castings on both look nice. I am going to buy these heads for a 74x92 build. Why not roll the dice for $300!!

mark tucker Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 am

new heads can be dead in a hour and old heads can last a life time. it's not always the parts that cause the failure :wink: