TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westfalia Tent Recognition
GomerTote Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:23 am

I found this VW Westfalia tent stashed away in my grandparents storage shed. I am not sure what years it will fit and don't know that much about VWs. Hopefully someone on this site can fill me in. I have looked over some of the threads regarding these tents and it appears they will fit a wide ranges of VW vans.

Red Fau Veh Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:11 am

Nice tent for a 68 and up bus! The bag however, that could be something older I think and if it is a split bus tent bag, it most likely is worth more than the entire tent! 8)

GomerTote Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks for the info. I will most likely sell it because I don't want to buy a VW van to go with it. What are enthusiasts paying for these tents?

EverettB Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, Bay Window 68-up tent.

Tents for sale in the bay Window parts section here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

I think they are around $350-$400 (realistic selling price)

I agree the bag looks like it's from an older Split Bus (67-down).
Bay Window bags are yellow.
Split Window Bus bags are striped like that.
The bag has some value but not more than a complete tent.
I am not sure on the bag, maybe $150 if it's nice?
It may be worth separating that out and buying some other bag for the later tent pieces.

Do you have a pole bag as well?

GomerTote Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:40 am

The poles are in a bag, but it is in the tent bag. I am not sure if it is origianl or not. I didn't realize that the bags were that important or special. It is pretty cool finding out about this stuff. My only VW was a 65 Baja Bug. Such a fun car.

Red Fau Veh Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:59 am

Any way you slice it, that is a very cool setup you got there. If the whole tent was a red striped circus tent from a split westy, folks would pay pretty big money for it. If you can pull out that pole bag and snap a pic, it's fun times seeing this kind of stuff imo. :lol:

GomerTote Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am

I honestly thought it was just a tent when I saw it at first. When I put it together, I thought I found a circus tent. I wondered why the entire back unzipped and could only figure that it hooked to something. After some research on this site, I found out that it was a lot cooler tent than I thought. I was about to load it up and take it to Goodwill until I found out what it was. I hope I can find a good home for it to someone who will use it.

Red Fau Veh Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:55 am

Finding the tent at Goodwill is a fun story you hear sometimes. :lol:

GomerTote Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Hey Red Fau Veh, I tried PMing you back, but I can't since I am a new user and must wait a day. :cry:

I am willing to ship. I will PM you the details when I am able to.