TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Trying to identify wheel front wheel cylinder differences
ajb164 Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:34 pm

can anyone comment on the years of the wheel cylinder
picture and if the two are compatible. one on the left is
a supposedly type 3 and the one on the right I am
looking to run together but they appear to be different.
will they work together or do I need to find an exact duplicate?

heres the box it came in..

Erik G Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 pm

63 on the left 64-65 on the right. No, they are not a direct exchange, the center pipe connecting the two is different.

What are you trying to accomplish? We can help

ajb164 Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:15 am

Erik G wrote: 63 on the left 64-65 on the right. No, they are not a direct exchange, the center pipe connecting the two is different.

as we all know these wheel cylinders are not that easy to find. especially the earlier ones. so I am looking to see if I can use one 63 and a 64-64 together. or better yet replace the frozen one (63) with a (64-65) new one that I have. I purchased a couple of these a few years back.
I am working on redoing some brakes on my 63 front drums.
the other option is to soak these cylinders in some type of penetrating oil
see if they will free up to rebuild them. if you know any good solutions to soak in let me know. as id like to try this first before talking a torch to them.
thanks for the help ahead of time.

Erik G Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 am

ajb164 wrote: Erik G wrote: 63 on the left 64-65 on the right. No, they are not a direct exchange, the center pipe connecting the two is different.

as we all know these wheel cylinders are not that easy to find. especially the earlier ones. so I am looking to see if I can use one 63 and a 64-64 together. or better yet replace the frozen one (63) with a (64-65) new one that I have. I purchased a couple of these a few years back.
see if they will free up to rebuild them. if you know any good solutions to soak in let me know. as id like to try this first before talking a torch to them.

no, you cannot use them together. What you can do is pull apart your 63 wheel cylinders and rebuild them. You can use the insides of that 64-65 cylinder, or, sell the one you have, buy two 22.2mm rears (late model rears will work fine and they are cheap) take them apart and use those parts to rebuild all 4 of your 63 fronts.

Hope that makes sense. Note where the center pipe connects on your 63 vs the 64-65 style

ajb164 Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:23 am

Erik G wrote: ajb164 wrote: Erik G wrote: 63 on the left 64-65 on the right. No, they are not a direct exchange, the center pipe connecting the two is different.

no, you cannot use them together. What you can do is pull apart your 63 wheel cylinders and rebuild them. You can use the insides of that 64-65 cylinder, or, sell the one you have, buy two 22.2mm rears (late model rears will work fine and they are cheap) take them apart and use those parts to rebuild all 4 of your 63 fronts.

Hope that makes sense. Note where the center pipe connects on your 63 vs the 64-65 style

yes that does make sense and pretty much is what info I was looking for..
thanks for your help