TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lego Beetle Project
1968buglogan Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:42 am

Hi, so since I found out that Lego made a "Beetle" I always wanted one, but when I found out about them that was when they retired the Beetle so I could not afford one. But that was about 3 years ago and I have been looking around for one that I could afford. But now speed up and I found one on craigslist for $350. Its missing the box and a few small pieces so that makes it a project for me at least. So I lowered him down to $200 and he said he would take my offer, but he was not available for 2 weeks because he was leaving so now it has been 2 weeks since then and i'm going to get it today! So here is the pictures from the ad. And I live in Wyoming, Michigan and he lives in Kalamazoo, Michigan and he gave me his address and its about 55 minutes away from me but its totally worth it :D So I will be updating this topic when we go to pick up the beetle after 3:00. What do you guys think? Also I am making a YouTube dedicated to the Lego Beetle. I will be doing update video's, tip's, how to's, And upgrades. Here is the link to the channel... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVDhViiD1F3reBXnL2pqHQ?guided_help_flow=3

1968buglogan Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:52 pm

So here is an update for you guys watching this project. So we just got her home today! The guy I bought it from said and I quote "I build it not knowing it would be worth something" and then he said that the building instructions book was in bad shape. But to me they are not. Here are some pictures

Steve22 Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:34 pm

looks to be in fairly decent shape! figure out which parts you need and call Lego with the part numbers; the one I got was missing a few pieces and when I called, they were most helpful in replacing them.

1968buglogan Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Okay thanks Steve on the tip!

1968buglogan Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Okay so right now I am in the process of tearing the beetle down

RareAir Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Logan Greyzck wrote: So here is an update for you guys watching this project. So we just got her home today! The guy I bought it from said and I quote "I build it not knowing it would be worth something".......

I agree, I cant believe a Lego could cost so much

1968buglogan Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 am

Yea, if you have one of these sets brand new in the box they are worth just around $2,000!!!

iowegian Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am

Logan Greyzck wrote: Okay so right now I am in the process of tearing the beetle down
Doing a "body-off" resto, eh? 8)

1968buglogan Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:58 am

Yea. I'm putting Lego's in the areas that the beetle set is missing, And then I'm adding Lego's in area's where it would then make it stronger and more stable. And then I take chunks and push them back together and then put the set back together.

Hacksaw-BoB Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi Logan,

Looks like you are having a lot of fun :!:

If you get stuck during the construction . . . .

maybe we can get my grandson involved . . . .

as he has taken apart and put back together my LEGO VW Bus at least fifty times . . blind folded :popcorn:

Steve22 Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:27 am

Hacksaw-BoB wrote: Hi Logan,

Looks like you are having a lot of fun :!:

If you get stuck during the construction . . . .

maybe we can get my grandson involved . . . .

as he has taken apart and put back together my LEGO VW Bus at least fifty times . . blind folded :popcorn:

SWEET!, never seen the mini bus. Where did you find it?

Hacksaw-BoB Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 am

It is the smaller version, about 3 1/2 inches long, that is no longer produced . . .

LEGO Creator Mini VW T1 Camper Van 40079 Volkswagen Bus

Perhaps look for it on eBay . . .

1968buglogan Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 am

Okay guys so I finished it and let it set for a day and got bored with it. So I took it apart and things got interesting. So I found a motor and made things work out! It now spins the flywheel. This is very interesting. I only know how to do this because when I was younger... I'm now 14. I knew how to use electrical wires to my advantage Ill post pictures later...

TheDon Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Logan Greyzck wrote: Yea, if you have one of these sets brand new in the box they are worth just around $2,000!!!

Seriously.........

I really knew I should have bought two or three of these

Completed models with instructions are going for 5-600. Dang

Hnoroian Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:20 am

This should help

Part 1
http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4536800.pdf

Part 2
http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4536801.pdf

And the micro van
http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/10220/Volkswagen_T1_Camper_Van

I did not know this existed though, but I'm sure I can probably figure it out.
http://lego.brickinstructions.com/en/lego_instructions/set/306/VW_Garage

banditwolf Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:47 pm

HOLY COW.
That goes for that much? :shock:

I need to see if I have one. Don't recall currently. I hope so.
I have the Bus & mini Bus in box/bag yet as I don't have a spot to build them currently.

Norton74 Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:08 pm

The LEGO Beetle is a classic set, I love it!