TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Russ Wolfe's '69 Fastback Page: 1, 2  Next
CallMeAwesome94 Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:44 pm

I don't know how many of you know Russell wolfe from Iowa, but I'm his granddaughter. I'm on the search to hopefully find his 69' fastback. I know its a long shot, but if anyone knows who bought it when he passed or possibly the vin I would be much appreciative of any information.

Mike Fisher Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 am

It was yellow & Russ got it running again in the driveway after he bought it?

Tram Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 am

Mike Fisher wrote: It was yellow & Russ got it running again in the driveway after he bought it?

I think that was the '73 Standard... IIRC the '69 was the dark green car. that Russ traded some work and a 6 pack of beer for. :)

Russ is a legend in this forum... you might want to PM "Bobnotch". Bob might know better than anyone where that trail leads.

Erik G Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:43 am

hey Awesome -

he had a couple fastbacks - this '69?

or this one?

Erik G Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:26 am

iowegian Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:21 pm

Erik G wrote: hey Awesome -

I don't know the year, but the orange one in the background is the only one I ever saw him drive.

CallMeAwesome94 Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 pm

last i knew the 69 and the 71 were sold in the auction

jaransonT3 Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Here is picture of Russ & Marilyn filling up the 69 Fastback....

jaransonT3 Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Here are a few more pictures of Russ's 69 Fastback at the 2008 Invasion in Michigan.

Wish I knew where it went after the auction. Good luck finding it.

CallMeAwesome94 Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Sigh this makes me miss him..=\

knewknew Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 pm

I just wanted to echo what others have said here.
He was instrumental in me getting my squareback on the road during a rebuild and I saved many of the messages with his advice.
I really hope you can find the car! If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

blankmange Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:02 am

I went with Russ to New York to pick up that fastback....

he called me on Monday and asked if I was doing anything that weekend - he needed a navigator/partner for the trip... that's me in one of those pics with the fastback on the trailer... and me again at the gas pumps and the black Jetta..

I drove up Thursday night and we left Friday morning - back on Sunday with that fasty....

good times...

unfortunately, I do not know who bought it after he passed.... would Marilyn have that info still?

Bobnotch Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Awesome, I think your grandmother told me it either went to Omaha, or it was bought by someone local. I can't remember which, and it's been a few years since I was at the Wolfe Estate . It was pretty empty, as your grandmother was fixing to move to her new house. She did tell me that the Omaha VW club did buy a bunch of stuff at the auction though.

Tram, you were thinking of the Guinness 66 Fastback that he bought (Erik's 1st pic). The 69 was Dark Green, and Russ picked it up in '07 I think, as I put a floor patch in it before going to Neil's and picking up the 71 Notch. I believe it was an e-bay purchase.
The Orange 71 Fastback belonged originally to his sister, and he serviced that car since new (did the dealer prep on it too).
The yellow 73 was the latest Fastback he bought. It needed it's rear FI relay screw tightened down to start and run, but he ended rebuilding the engine in it too.

My best suggestion would be to ask your grandmother (Marilyn), and see IF she knows who bought it, or maybe try contacting the Auctioneer to find out who bought it. I think they might still have the information for another year or so (until they clear their records).

I do know that both Russ and Marilyn drove that car quite a bit, as Russ used it to get some stuff we (Sue and I) needed to finish building the "overhead storage" out in the shop during RussFest. She even took it to get pizza when we were there. We cleaned up most of the shop, just so he could do this.

My wife (Sue) took that picture. Alan fron MN on the left was helping us, and that's my white pick up just outside the door (with the T-34 on the dolley).

I'm still in contact with your grandmother, as she calls me every now and then just to talk. I think last month was the last time she called, as she's pretty busy with her church. :D

Erik G Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:00 am

CallMeAwesome94 wrote: Sigh this makes me miss him..=\

as do all of us that have been around a long time. I wish you luck finding the car - I hope you do and can buy it back

Tram Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:21 am

Erik G wrote: CallMeAwesome94 wrote: Sigh this makes me miss him..=\

as do all of us that have been around a long time. I wish you luck finding the car - I hope you do and can buy it back

In spite of the fact that we should have been "natural enemies" due to our political leanings, we had VWs and wrenching on them professionally back in "the Day" (although I started a decade behind Russ) in common. Back in the days of the "Rants" on here we used to beat each other up pretty good. :lol: Russ wasn't really a "rants" person, but I knew he read my political ramblings on there because he'd send me an occasional PM telling me how full of shit I was, and put things in his sig line aimed at me... for example, for awhile I ran with "fiscal conservative; social liberal" and he countered with "fiscal AND social conservative"...

I'll never forget meeting Russ in the flesh at the '06 Invasion. I thought Garrison Keillor was a Type 3 owner for a second. I walked up to him and shook his hand, saying something like "you don't look like a baybykilling warmonger- but then, neither did Himmler."

He looked at me really startled for a sec, then laughed and said "You must be Tram!".

Bobnotch Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 am

Tram wrote: Erik G wrote: CallMeAwesome94 wrote: Sigh this makes me miss him..=\

In spite of the fact that we should have been "natural enemies" due to our political leanings, we had VWs and wrenching on them professionally back in "the Day" (although I started a decade behind Russ) in common. Back in the days of the "Rants" on here we used to beat each other up pretty good. :lol: Russ wasn't really a "rants" person, but I knew he read my political ramblings on there because he'd send me an occasional PM telling me how full of shit I was, and put things in his sig line aimed at me... for example, for awhile I ran with "fiscal conservative; social liberal" and he countered with "fiscal AND social conservative"...

I'll never forget meeting Russ in the flesh at the '06 Invasion. I thought Garrison Keillor was a Type 3 owner for a second. I walked up to him and shook his hand, saying something like "you don't look like a baybykilling warmonger- but then, neither did Himmler."

He looked at me really startled for a sec, then laughed and said "You must be Tram!".

Yeah, I really liked him a lot. He could be a joker at times too. Lots of fun. I really miss being able to call him if I had a problem with something, as he'd take the time to help you out IF you asked.
And by joker, here's what I mean, I was taking a pic of him at the diner in 2010, and he was pulling out his phone to take a pic of me taking a pic of him. :lol:

Nate M. Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Tram wrote:

THAT is some funny sh*t right there!! :lol: Thanks for that Tram!!

Russ is on that ever growing list of folks I wish I had met. . .

VWporscheGT3 Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm

CallMeAwesome94 wrote: Sigh this makes me miss him..=\

We all miss him. I especially miss his Sarcasm and wit. :cry:

Clatter Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:38 pm

I really miss having Russ here. :(

Even though the only interaction i had with him was on this site,
His willingness to take time, and share his wealth of knowledge with complete strangers speaks volumes about his character.

Also, even though he had years of experience,
When he didn't know something, he would say so,
And if he learned something, he would acknowledge it.

Again, strength of character..

Tram Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Clatter wrote: I really miss having Russ here. :(

Even though the only interaction i had with him was on this site,
His willingness to take time, and share his wealth of knowledge with complete strangers speaks volumes about his character.

Also, even though he had years of experience,
When he didn't know something, he would say so,
And if he learned something, he would acknowledge it.

Again, strength of character..

One of the things Russ and I saw 100% eye to eye on... no matter how long you've been doing something, the day you stop learning new things about it... you're done.

Also- he really hated being called "Russell". :lol:

He was a really good egg.