TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clogged fuel tank?
kpfoten Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 am

82 2.0. Filter, pump, lines pressure regulator. Gas tank was VERY scaly, and I had it cleaned out professionally. Kit to reseal breather lines, etc.

Having an issue with loss of power/stalling--I pull out of my driveway and it loses power/dies.

Timing/dwell/fuel injection components all test normal. Vacuum good.

It starts and idles well, although it was idling for 10 minutes and then pressure started dropping and it clonked out (have fuel gauge monitoring) Plenty of gas but I'm wondering if something in the tank is restricting fuel flow?

Anyone else have an issue like this? I'm wondering if there was something screwed up when I had the tank cleaned out?

Steve M. Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 am

How did they clean it out professionally?
Did they remove it or try to do it in place?

djkeev Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 am

Could be a clogged tank.

It also could be a tired relay, the ignition switch, bad grounds, bad 12v connection, clogged fuel filter, tired pump........

kpfoten Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 am

Fuel tank was removed. I don't know if they boil/steam it out--something to that extent-

kpfoten Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:30 am

I'll try a pump delivery test and see how much is coming out.

AndyBees Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:55 pm

The OE fuel tank has two built-in fine mesh screens (filters). It has one on the pick-up side and one on the return pipe.

If the professional cleaner coated the tank inside, most likely those screens are virtually plugged. Also, if he did not insert a wire in the two long metal vent pipes, well, they will be plugged too. The wire is removed before the coating solidifies.

The tank will continue to rust if it is not coated .........

Ask me how I know? ............. had to deal with it on my '83 Air-cool and my '84 WBXER....... finally, on the water boxer (ALH TDI install), purchased an aftermarket tank .... see comment right below!

You will be best served to purchase an after market tank off eBay ........ about $100.00 shipped.

djkeev Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Here is the thread where I cut open an OEM fuel tank......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630469&highlight=

Dave

kpfoten Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Yikes! Well, they didn't coat it internally but I did notice the output pipe had a lot of crud in it. I cleaned it out as good as I could with essentially a long pipe cleaner. I have a clear fuel filter I'm going to run to see I can make any sense of it.

AndyBees Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 pm

I'll make this as brief as possible (my experience with Vanagon fuel tanks).

My 83 sit from 1988 until 1992 (reason another story). Anyway, when I got it going fuel filter after fuel filter would get plugged with rust.

So, I removed the tank and dumped in lye, gravels, muriatic acid, etc., other than the gravels (not all at the same time). Anyway, some dude dropped by when I was trying to salvage it ($500.00 at the dealer back in those days). He said to go to the local Honda shop and get a gas tank prep-kit.

So, I purchased two kits ... acid, rinse and coating. I followed the instructions and coated the tank. I had no clue about the two mesh strainers.

Then, in 1993 we drove the Van to Alaska,,, then 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001 and 2003 without any problems. It hasn't been licensed and/or insurance or started since 2006.

Then, in 2011/2012 I did an operation on my 84 fuel tank and made the discovery of those strainers ........... I cut a big round hole in the center bottom and clean it out (long story) and used Red-Kote http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131533413846?lpid=82&chn=ps

I used 12 volt electrolysis to dissolve the rust ......... worked pretty good. Acetone is the rinse to remove the water after rinse it out ..... It will rust as you watch it... :D

Anyway, due to the huge patch on the bottom of my fuel tank, I feared it might not make inspection at the Canadian border or the US border on the trip to and from Alaska.

Now, I have an after-market Made in China fuel tank...

kpfoten Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Well, I've got my answer--

I ran a fuel pump delivery rate test and found it to be about 1/4 of what it should be--maybe 125ml (should be 500ml). Then I pulled the line from the tank and found gas coming out at a small trickle. It was apparently just enough to let it idle. My poor fuel pump was working overtime trying to get that gas out. Time for a new tank. :(

Thanks for all the insight-

Kris