TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stuck door
Envious Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:47 pm

I've found a lot of topics about doors that won't open but none of them really apply to my situation.

It's a new build of a 63 beetle. I closed the driver's door to take it for it's first drive and now it won't open again. The door handle hasn't been installed yet and the door seal is not installed.

I've removed the door pad and tried to move the actuator arm manually but it won't pop.

I have a hinge pin removal tool so I've popped the door pins but the top hinge is too tight to open. The bottom hinge looks like it would clear. The door is loose and king of teetering in the opening.

Lastly, since the door handle wasn't installed, I was able to remove the guts of the mech. I couldn't retrieve the little tooth that latches the door but I've removed the pin that operates it after first trying to tap it upwards to try to get it to unlatch. Still no go.

I'm open to any ideas at this point.

56bugdan Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:48 am

Did you change the heater channel on the side that won't open? It sounds to me like the door is wedged in there if the upper hinge has that much pressure on it so either the body was sagging when/if the heater channel was welded in or maybe one or both hinges got bent somehow. I wish I had a door apart so I could see what you're talking about with the latch but it's been years since I've had a 58 or newer door apart. It almost sounds like you have the mechanism apart enough to where it should release. I know there's not a lot of room but did you try putting your shoulder in it or giving it a push with your feet? I know it crude but you need to get it opened so you can get it fixed. Obviously you don't wanna dent it or scratch it if it's got new paint and if you going to try it now, you need to put the hinge pins back or it'll fall on the ground and be a mess if it does open. Good luck and maybe somebody else here has a better idea or at least is familiar with your latch.[/list]