TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I Chopped my top
chopped73beetle Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm

I wanted to hear advice from those who have chopped there vw top
I am in the progress of chopping the top 4" , I followed an vw mag article for the most part.
I want to know what the best way to maintain a uniform arch is on the roof toward the rear of cut through. Should I make wirewforms . If you look closely you'll see the rachet strap I've used to squeez the body together to manipulate the arch. It's under tension. I can make relief cuts near the rockers but not sure what's best.

I need Ideas from those who have done it. I have englishwheel, tig welder and Shrinker stretchers. Pictures are coming

chopped73beetle Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:37 pm

I think I know what I'm doing....

DWP Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:18 am

Looks good so far.
I would suggest looking around here
http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=f68829bd7f45bc949599b40aa4af0a4b&f=5

Make sure you have a plan for the side and rear glass. St least in PA you cannot use plexi.

DWP

57BLITZ Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 am

The BEST way?
Use a second roof!
Piece your existing roof back with the added strips just enough to get the posts lined up correctly, cut the second roof as long as possible to the front and rear glass openings as well as out to the side just to the body line.
Then cut out the center of the chopped roof to match the donor roof "insert".
Overlap the donor panel if you must . . . extra points for butt-welding!
Since all the welded seams will be out towards the perimeter, your roof then will have a nice curve to it instead of having to deal with blending all those welds/strips across the center of the roof.

Mike Fisher Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:36 am

A piece of brazing rod would show you good curves. :?:

Danpa Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 pm

chopped73beetle wrote:
I think I know what I'm doing....

Not that I've ever used one, but....

Aren't the wheels supposed to be 90 degrees from how you have them?

Dan

vaughn bros. Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:47 pm

We have only a dozen chops under our belt so we are not pro's but...It looks like you are just chopping the front and not the back. This will be difficult at best to recreate the natural even curve of the drip rails. If you look at a stock bug from the rear, the drip rails have an outward peak at the B pillar.This peak has a horror effect when just chopping the front and not the entire roof.

I have learned from experience that using as much of a full center piece is so much easier to get straight rather than welding all up and around the center of a top. If you want, you can always loose the drip rails as some customizers do, but it's not necessary and can look funny.

Here is a link - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight= to a bug roof that has some of the similar cuts you have already made and may give you some insight. Just remember the B Pillar is the enemy. The roof is taller and wider at the Pillar which affects the rear quarter window shape. Look at many chops and then look at the rear quarter windows.

PS. The english wheel direction is usually dictated by whats being wheeled. Obviously you would need to rotate your wheels 90* if you were wheeling a 59 Buick roof. :)