TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How many (few) air cooled's on your street/block/town? Page: 1, 2  Next
tasb Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 pm

I have noticed lately that there are a lot of old VW's on my street.

Mine: All driving and stopping
1955 oval slow drag champ 3x
1957 kombi slow drag champ 1x
1960 Beetle
1961 single cab
1965 hardtop walk through Deluxe

Across the street
1969 Ghia
1955 oval

Across the street a different neighbor
1970 Beetle

Behind my property
Original Myers Manx

Down the street
late 60's dune Buggy

At the end of my street 1 block
1972 standard Beetle

All of these are within a two minute walk, not bad for a town of 3,000 souls.

I heard there was a rumor going around that my town is full of "old VW's" I don't think the rumor mongers realize that they are mostly from one driver switching them out!

What have you got?

Cusser Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Just my two in my neighborhood, Phoenix.

FullFender Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:47 pm

5 bugs unsure of the years.
1 split single cab.
And a really nice 57 Ghia about 15 minutes away.

c21darrel Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:16 pm

mine, Ghia and Double cab
down below my hill
early vert beetle hidden in garage
Up around the block
65 ruby red ragtop bug
down the block
65 blue primer squareback
up the street from him
69 squareback
continuing up the street
71 Notchback
there are also in the neighborhood
59 single cab
68 single cab
67 bug
All the above are weekend drivers except my DC and the early convert hidden in my neighbors garage

rockerarm Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi tasb, good thread.
I have a '71 Bay and a '74 Std bug, both running. Got a '71 Super, needing lots of care. All 3 on the street.
I have a clients '70 bug in driveway.
Friend shows up daily with a '74 Ghia vert.

There's a gent about 1/2 mile away with a lite blue '68/'69 bug, split window bus, and a 356 b or c model, all top notch beautiful cars.

I guess in a mile, or so, radius there are some more, some at business'.

Bella's shop is north of me a mile and has so many VW's there he cant park 'em on the property!

The city I'm in is Burbank, Ca.
Bill.
PS: I'll recon and update my post.

67jason Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:03 pm

about a dozen within walking distance. more in a 5 mile radius. hundreds in a 20 mile radius.

e&m_ghia Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:02 am

Air-cooled VWs?

Neighborhood, street, block: Just ours…

Town: If there are any others at the moment, they're well hidden. I'd guess you can count them on one hand and have fingers left over.

More in immediately neighboring towns, so you see other old VWs & other VW-based cars at car gatherings. But not many. (Great excitement about a month ago, when E and I drove down to a near-by shopping center in separate cars: Did you see the yellow bug in that driveway off West Ox? Yes!)

Including the neighboring towns, though, I'm thinking you'd find more air-cooled Porsches than VWs, these days.

Cusser Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:41 am

Cusser wrote: Just my two in my neighborhood, Phoenix.

I need to add that 1 mile from me - at my place up north - there's a nice convertible that I've been interested in buying, but the woman said her late husband re-did it, and she's not ready yet to part with it. I gave her my business card twice, and asked if she would save my information and give me first crack at it, but don't know if that will actually happen. I did tell her that it would be for me to keep, and not flip it. By the way, she does drive it on weekends and does seem to really enjoy it, so I'm OK with that.

windfish Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:48 am

My '70 bug and a light blue Super convertible one street down are the only two I know of.

'course, that's not counting the rotting Ghia, late model Bug, and '80's ish van outside someone's old garage. Those have been there for a loong time; thought about trying to find the owner to make an offer on the Ghia, but it's probably a bit far gone by now.

There's a few in the area, saw a pretty red Ghia the other morning and a green Super closer to work. Lonnie's shop always has a few out front, but still they're somewhat sparse over this way.

TheAmazingDave Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:37 am

3 Bugs in my neighborhood including my 71 Super, one an early 60's cabriolet that never moves, and the other a 67 sedan I believe.

Sadly enough, I know where all the VWs are in my greater area, and there's too many to count.

They are still out there. I think owners are just more conscious about their age and scarcity, and they don't make it out on the road as much as, say, a decade ago.

There's a beautiful Type 3 notchback about a mile away that hasn't moved in YEARS. Very tempted to leave a note on that one...

mark tucker Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 am

just mine on my street, but many in the neighbor hood, and quite a few in the aera.

Patty B. Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm

Other than mine we came across a 70s Beetle in Herbie colours and last week while out looking for corn on the cob out the the country we saw a home with two faded 70s Bugs in the a driveway, prob someone's building collection. There used to be a guy around the corner from us who raced Corvairs, he had a station wagon and a sedan in his driveway but they have since moved.
Not as many as there once was and even then there weren't many.

63vbug82 Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:58 pm

My 62 and down the street a 69 vert but thats just on my street

[email protected] Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:21 pm

I am guessing about 2 dozen in our county, rarely ever see any on the streets and roads around here. I am just guessing from people I talk to.

PK399 Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Mine a 1969 Montana Red Transporter and my neighbours 73 Campmobile. That's it in the whole county!

Cusser Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Cusser wrote: Just my two in my neighborhood, Phoenix.

Maybe the scarcity or cost of air conditioning affects the number of VWs here in Phoenix. So does our high of 117F today. That's in the shade, people, but there ain't no shade !!!

crukab Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 am

Just these 2

At VWDaves place, 12 miles away, one '66 Westy 20+ miles away, beyond that ??????
It is not like you folks in Cali w/ many Vws in the neighborhood, ours are hidden away 7 months a year, from the Snow & SALT ....... :)

tasb Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:38 pm

I was on vacation from July 13th to the 25th. I covered Northeastern Illinois and Wisconsin. Took the ferry in Manitowoc across to Ludington, Michigan and then up and down the western and central lower peninsula twice before returning to Chicago.

Covered a lot of miles through a lot of small and medium sized towns but not very good VW sighting turf. I only came across one driving vehicle, a red Karmann Ghia convertible in Fon du Lac, Wisconsin.

I did receive the honor of visiting a VW friend who has three barndoor buses stashed away near Holland, Michigan - that was truly fascinating.

wcfvw69 Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:40 pm

It's RARE to see air cooled VW's out and about this time of the year in PHX. I see a couple of split bus's, a Bay or two and several bugs around during the non summer months, when it's not 117* outside! lol

I joke all the time that Phoenix has the backward weather of the NE USA. Our VW's are hibernated in the garage due to the heat of summer, not the snow and cold.

Sadly, I don't have anyone in my neighborhood that has any VW's. It would be cool if they did.

EZ Gruv Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:16 pm

On my small street, just my two and a Porsche 914 that hasn't seen the road in a decade.