TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Different Alternator in place of a bad generator in my 66?
Evoloner Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:55 pm

I have a 66 Fastback with a aftermarket 1776 with a bad generator. I am looking for a replacement, and well they are not easy to come by (especially on a budget!) I am wondering if I can put a later model alternator/generator in place of the bad one. And if so or if not, what would you recomend? I know of the CB peformance conversion, and wont have the money for that for some time. Air coold nut has a good artical on a new style alternator replacement, and I was wondering if I did this, which altornator should I use and any other advise! Thanks in advance, I am pretty new to Type three and VW motors in general. Please be kind, LOL!

Bobnotch Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Evoloner wrote: I have a 66 Fastback with a aftermarket 1776 with a bad generator. I am looking for a replacement, and well they are not easy to come by (especially on a budget!) I am wondering if I can put a later model alternator/generator in place of the bad one. And if so or if not, what would you recomend? I know of the CB peformance conversion, and wont have the money for that for some time. Air coold nut has a good artical on a new style alternator replacement, and I was wondering if I did this, which altornator should I use and any other advise! Thanks in advance, I am pretty new to Type three and VW motors in general. Please be kind, LOL!

Is the car still 6 volt? Or has it been converted to 12 volt? This does make a difference.

Evoloner Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 am

I am not sure, I was looking at the Gene and it is a Bosch 311 903 031 J
and says 14V 30A 20 on it. I am pretty sure it still is 6 volt but again I am just guessing.

Bobnotch Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:55 pm

Evoloner wrote: I am not sure, I was looking at the Gene and it is a Bosch 311 903 031 J
and says 14V 30A 20 on it. I am pretty sure it still is 6 volt but again I am just guessing.

If that's what's stamped on it, then it should be a 12 volt generator. This means you can use Toby's write up for converting to an alternator. I believe the 1 you want came off of a forklift. Contact Brian Fye to know for sure, as he's been running Toby's set up for the last 10+years. :D

Evoloner Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Awesome thanks for pointing me in the right direction! totaly appreciate it!

W1K1 Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Mine came from the pick and pull, 3 cylinder Geo alternator, $20
had it checked at the local electric motor shop when I bought the Metric v-belt pulley for it.

icelancer Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:56 am

If you use the geo alt the belt is a avx10x965. It would be a good idea to plug the cooling vent if using the geo alternator as well, its a pretty big hole.