TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Seat Belt Mounting Locations
Bryan67 Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:26 am

I just bought a 66 fastback. Out of something like 30 VW`s over 30 years this is my second Type 3. So, I`m doing my usual ritual of cleaning everything. I pulled out the back seat and I want to put seat belts in the back. Except that I can only see where the center mounts are. Where are the outer mounting bolt holes? Are they somewhere under the original insulation?

ALLWAGONS Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Early type 3's had shoulder belts. The upper would be under the popout window latch.

Bryan67 Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:02 pm

I know. I can plainly see the upper mounts. I`m just going to put lap belts in the back. What I need to know is where the lower outer mounting holes are.

Bobnotch Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Bryan67 wrote: I know. I can plainly see the upper mounts. I`m just going to put lap belts in the back. What I need to know is where the lower outer mounting holes are.

There aren't any, as they didn't come standard until 1968.
What you're going to have to do is drill new thru holes for them, then using the big washer, bolt, lock washer and nut from a belt kit, bolt in that end of the belt.Repeat for the other side.
Another option would be to remove the belt mount from a later car, and weld them into yours.

Bryan67 Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:49 am

So there are lap belt mounts for the middle of the seat and mounts for shoulder belts but not for the lower outer lap belt portion? Weird.

Mike Fisher Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:24 am

My '66 doesn't have front seat lap belt mounts on the heater channels either. :evil:

Bryan67 Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 am

And mine does... Odd.

Bryan67 Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:49 am

Ok Bob, I`m sure the late models have them. But I don`t know where. Do you have a picture of where you drilled your holes?

Mike Fisher Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm

I think these are the 4 rear mounts on Clatter's '67?

Bobnotch Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Bryan67 wrote: Ok Bob, I`m sure the late models have them. But I don`t know where. Do you have a picture of where you drilled your holes?

I'm going to use 260KMN's pics.There's a nice pocket seen from underneath (2nd pic) that provides a great place to mount the outboard seat belt (big flat washer, lock washer and nut, or late model part). Basically you just drill from above, and mount it up.

I used his pics, as the bottom one was really nice and clean and clear. The upper gives you an idea of where you'll be drilling, and is also a nice clean uncluttered pic. I drilled my 65 in those same spots over 15 years ago, and haven't had to do anything with the mounts since. You'll use the inner bolt holes you already found in the center, for that end of the belt. Keep in mind they're 7/16-20 thread (fine thread) bolts.
I hope this helps.

Bryan67 Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:03 am

I want to get this right the first time. So drill on the red dot?

Bobnotch Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 am

Bryan67 wrote: I want to get this right the first time. So drill on the red dot?

That'll work. Or you can go a little more outboard from there.

Bryan67 Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:03 am

Alright. Thanks Bob, I`m going in.