TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Offroad engine, single or dual carbs, possibly turbo.
SamT Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:04 am

Hey guys, I'm getting close to finished piling parts for the engine for my Jeep/RZR hybrid buggy build:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712&start=40

Ive got some pretty good stuff that goes together pretty well, everything is good quality, mostly gently used stuff, some new. I'm just a little torn on where to take this from here.

What I have: 2276cc
CB wedgeports 44/37 I used them on my 2332 before going turbo, low miles
Mahle pistons (94) used,nice, have valve notches
AA Jugs new
older bugpack 82 crank, chevy 5.5 scat rods 3/8 bolts nice still STD cut
XR302 cam Steve Long, matching lifters (low miles from my old 2332 (I'm thinking hard about FK44 or 45)
45 Dellortos. Kinda crusty, but I think they just need new linkage and cleaned.
Autocraft needle bearing 1.4 rockers
I have a couple ceramic merged buggy style exhausts, one has a muffler, will probably use it IF I stay natural.
among other things that don't matter.

I have a source for a turbo and waste gate, cheap, looks like its the right size T3/4. I'm toying with doing another blow through like my other VW is.|
Here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521236&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
The only issue I ever have is fuel slosh. I'm wondering what kind of performance reduction I may get if I blow through just one dellorto 45? Anyone built a manifold that's big enough to flow the wedgeports? Can a single carb keep enough fuel to supply close to 300HP?
Ideas?

ALso if I decided to go natural does anyone have an idea of how I can reduce the slosh? I hate it when you go over a bunch of bumps with the motor not reved up and tries to load up some.

I don't know that I will need the power for what the car will do, I should be 175 or so natural, surely that's enough, maybe not. It currently has a stock 002 3 rib trans, but I'm running tall tires 35x12.5 (need the ground clearance for rocks and crossing ditches) I guess gearing will be real close to stock bug 3.88 gears. I'm shooting for 1200LB dry weight for the car.

jsturtlebuggy Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

What is done in off road racing to help with fuel slosh is what known as a sucker system. FAT does to their engine.
It is fairly simple to do. I did it with Weber IDFs. I drilled and tapped for a fitting into the float bowl where the choke is. Then would run a hose from it to a Faucet fuel pump to pull off excess fuel and dump it back in to the fuel tank.
Plus it also wise to extend the float bowl vent up. I made vent tubes about 1 1/2in long with a angle cut on top (allows more air flow) and then form it to fit in the slot on top of the carb. Same thing I did with Dellortos but just drilling vent hole larger to fit tubing. I used JB Weld to epoxy them in place.