TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Newbie Looking for Help and Ideas (suspension, steering...)
mvrk10256 Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Been poking around a bit and looking to get some info.

I recently picked up this sand rail thats street legal. Its titled as a '64. 1600 dual port, single carb, 4-1 exhaust.

while I am an experienced builder, fabricator, and racer I have never owned anything VW or anything this old for that matter.

Questions...

1. Its a hoot to drive, but the brakes arnt great. It only has drums on the rear. I am not thrilled about it. Took a look online and for ~ $400 I can get a rear disk setup. Is it worth it? It seems to run front brakes I would need new knuckles, brake parts, and a different MC (single unit currently installed). Also I assume I would need a different style wheel, or something as well, since there seems to be no way to attach a caliper to the wheel. I would like to maintain the parking brake. What is my best bang-for-buck option here?

2. The steering wheel cuts into my thigh when I try to shift. the clutch is super far over to the right. I could probably fab something up to put the lever out to the left, but I would much rather raise the steering wheel. Is there any obvious issue with simply cutting the tube its bolted too and moving it up an inch or inch and a half? Wouldnt mind the wheel moving a bit further away from me as well. I am a competent welder so that is not an issue.

3. Could you guys ID some stuff for me? suspension type? frame manufacturer? ect? Also maybe point out some cool mods for a street biased rail?

Pics:

Thanks!

Dale M. Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:49 pm

As for steering wheel, I would not cut cross member, but maybe see how much room between steering shaft and cross member and move shaft up as much as possible or alternatively put it on top of cross member...

Front end is late model BALL JOINT probably 67 or later... If you are going to put brakes on front, you can probably use spindle if the original backing plate mounting holes are there (not ground down)....... Disks will be touchier on front from no help to skidding lockup because of no weight on front, but drums may be option, but either way you loose spindle mount wheels...

Rear suspension looks to be 61-68 swing axle....

Dale

mvrk10256 Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Dale M. wrote: As for steering wheel, I would not cut cross member, but maybe see how much room between steering shaft and cross member and move shaft up as much as possible or alternatively put it on top of cross member...

Front end is late model BALL JOINT probably 67 or later... If you are going to put brakes on front, you can probably use spindle if the original backing plate mounting holes are there (not ground down)....... Disks will be touchier on front from no help to skidding lockup because of no weight on front, but drums may be option, but either way you loose spindle mount wheels...

Rear suspension looks to be 61-68 swing axle....

Dale

Thanks!. Putting it on top would probably work. since the roof is fairly low I understand why they put the cross member there but it just does not work for me.

There are two threaded holes in the spindle. They are flush so I dont know what you mean by ground down. I really like the wheels so it sounds like front brakes are out.

Is the rear disk brake conversion from appletree or w/e any good?

mvrk10256 Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Also Can someone explain the difference between EMPI, CB, AC, Kustom1Warehouse?

Also is there any way to narrow down if I have the short axle or the long axle?

Brian Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 pm

mvrk10256 wrote: Also Can someone explain the difference between EMPI, CB, AC, Kustom1Warehouse?

Cost AND quality. Stick with CB when in doubt. EMPI is china quality, minus their CV joints and window cranks.

mvrk10256 Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Brian wrote: mvrk10256 wrote: Also Can someone explain the difference between EMPI, CB, AC, Kustom1Warehouse?

Cost AND quality. Stick with CB when in doubt. EMPI is china quality, minus their CV joints and window cranks.

Ok. The CB ones look different and thats reasonable. But how can i figure out which kit si for me? I know I have the 5 lug but how to tell if its long or short?