TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Parts availability and general questions FB Page: 1, 2  Next
chickenoodle Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey guys,

As some of you would have noticed I posted re a 72 fastback I was looking at, well I ended up purchasing it.
It has some rust issues nothing "major" but its going to be a long road to getting it on the..road.

1. The floor pan has had a few rust repairs done on it using fiberglass, I assume this will be a no no come RWC time in Aus Vic so will be sorting this out asap.

My question do you guys usually weld in new sheet metal to just repair the rusty bits or do you go straight to floor pan replacement?

2. Does anyone know where floor pans can be purchased in Australia? The cheapest I have found are in usa and the postage was nearly $500!!!

3. I'm also looking for a source of TMI carpet in AUS, have had no luck so far.

4. Lastly the car wont go into first gear, the owner drove it onto the car trailer fine in first and assures me it was working, so I can only assume its somehow become damaged in transport, any hints as to what the problem could be? Shift linkage or likely to be stuffed gearbox? It doesn't grind the slot is just literally missing.

I do apologize if these questions have been repeated in other threads.

Thanks

Bobnotch Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:22 pm

chickenoodle wrote: Hey guys,

As some of you would have noticed I posted re a 72 fastback I was looking at, well I ended up purchasing it.
It has some rust issues nothing "major" but its going to be a long road to getting it on the..road.

1. The floor pan has had a few rust repairs done on it using fiberglass, I assume this will be a no no come RWC time in Aus Vic so will be sorting this out asap.

My question do you guys usually weld in new sheet metal to just repair the rusty bits or do you go straight to floor pan replacement?

2. Does anyone know where floor pans can be purchased in Australia? The cheapest I have found are in usa and the postage was nearly $500!!!

3. I'm also looking for a source of TMI carpet in AUS, have had no luck so far.

4. Lastly the car wont go into first gear, the owner drove it onto the car trailer fine in first and assures me it was working, so I can only assume its somehow become damaged in transport, any hints as to what the problem could be? Shift linkage or likely to be stuffed gearbox? It doesn't grind the slot is just literally missing.

I do apologize if these questions have been repeated in other threads.

Thanks

Have you tried contacting KlassicFab (Gerson)? It might be cheaper to have them sent directly from him, rather than the USA.

chickenoodle Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks ill send them an email for a shipping quote!

hoss Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 am

chickenoodle wrote: 4. Lastly the car wont go into first gear, the owner drove it onto the car trailer fine in first and assures me it was working, so I can only assume its somehow become damaged in transport, any hints as to what the problem could be? Shift linkage or likely to be stuffed gearbox? It doesn't grind the slot is just literally missing.

The shifter likely just need to be adjusted.

TMI Products Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:03 am

I have a few dealers that can order the carpet for you in Oz. They probably wont stock it due to the color combinations and with or without this or that.

http://busnbug.com/

vintageveedub.com.au/ (he orders frequently and will have a shipment going soon)

Mick Motors Pty Ltd

chickenoodle Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks TMI, I contacted someone in AUS selling your product but never heard back. Ill get onto the one you suggested.

chickenoodle Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Does anyone know where I could get that plastic bit on the seat that you pull to slide the seat back? The drivers seat is missing the piece just has the metal lever and I cant even think of what to search to find it.
I do apologize for the dumb questions, this is the first old car im working on and the first VW Ive ever owned so its all a learning experience.

Thanks

KTPhil Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:06 pm

chickenoodle wrote: Does anyone know where I could get that plastic bit on the seat that you pull to slide the seat back? The drivers seat is missing the piece just has the metal lever and I cant even think of what to search to find it.
I do apologize for the dumb questions, this is the first old car im working on and the first VW Ive ever owned so its all a learning experience.

Thanks

This?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1814022

The classifieds are a gold mine.

chickenoodle Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Yes! Thanks!

So it looks like you cant get "new ones' and I suspect these second hand ones will be brittle and snap the second I use them. Anyone using something else in place?

squaretobehip Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:51 pm

chickenoodle wrote:

So it looks like you cant get "new ones' and I suspect these second hand ones will be brittle and snap the second I use them.

Should work just fine. They don't really snap off. There's a tiny metal clip that goes in that hole which holds it on the metal lever. Most of the time they have a hole drilled in them to get the clip off the lever. This one might have the clip in it still. If not, the clip is available new.

Karly Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:34 am

For floor pans try dasrestoparts.com.au
or Vintage Vee-Dub but best to give them a phone call

Facebook has a lot of active aussie vw groups and they can be great for buying type 3 parts. As you've found try and keep all the old stuff until you can source replacements which are often second hand rather than new. Even if you can find new stuff don't chuck the old stuff as frustratingly often the new parts don't fit or are poor quality. The samba classifieds are great but shipping and conversion of USD to AUD is a bit of a killer right now!

Try and check out the day of the vw in November (held by VIC VW club) - you may be able to source some parts there :)

chickenoodle Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks.

Anyone have experience with this muffler https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-D-2071

I assume this replaces the extractors etc as well (mine are totally rusted out)

Does it require any modification, work fine with heater pipes etc?

I can imagine the quality is poor which I'm not really concerned about as its going be a stop gap solution.

Mike Fisher Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:08 am

The GT 4 Tip is the worst of the EMPI exhausts on a Type 3. You will cut/burn your legs with that exhaust! :idea:

chickenoodle Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh really thanks. Any Suggestions than? I need something that will replace the entire system but still work with the heater boxes etc.

Mike Fisher Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:32 pm

ISP West & others make/sell an "over the top" design header/muffler for a Type 3 that is popular. This is another design for a Type 3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-3-34-STAINLESS-MUF...20ffb99ba7

wfurnish Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 am

chickenoodle wrote: Hey guys,

Actually, you might not need to replace the whole pans! Are the old tarboards still in? I "discovered" more rust when I ripped mine out. ISP sells quarter pans w or w/o trays. http://www.vwispwest.com/311705057RQ.html Performance VW in Croydon South can weld them in for you and paint them quite reasonably.

chickenoodle Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:30 am

Quote: Are the old tarboards still in? I "discovered" more rust when I ripped mine out.

They were, but I removed them :twisted: the inside of the floor pan actually looks really good.

chickenoodle Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Ok next dumb question ( I really need to get myself a benley service manual)

What in the world is that plastic trim piece called, my cars missing these and despite my searching I cant find these! Its like a hard/flexible plastic and it doesnt come up under the Rubber seal cat on any sites.

EverettB Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Windlace?

chickenoodle Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:41 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!