TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door locks not working.
Smeele Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi I have a 1987 Transporter. unfortunately my key only works to lock and unlock my trunk. I'm wondering whats the best way to go about fixing this/replacing the locks. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

WestyBob Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Smeele wrote: Hi I have a 1987 Transporter. unfortunately my key only works to lock and unlock my trunk. I'm wondering whats the best way to go about fixing this/replacing the locks. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

I assume the key you have also works in the ignition, and that the locks are manual.

Ideally you'd want to have the slider and front doors keyed to that one. Secondarily a second key just for those but more of an inconvenience.

I'd say visit a locksmith who can deal with tumbler plates. Possibly a Vw shop can do this too if they have someone knowledgeable.

Does your key work in the glove box lock ?

Smeele Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 pm

WestyBob wrote: Smeele wrote: Hi I have a 1987 Transporter. unfortunately my key only works to lock and unlock my trunk. I'm wondering whats the best way to go about fixing this/replacing the locks. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

I assume the key you have also works in the ignition, and that the locks are manual.

Ideally you'd want to have the slider and front doors keyed to that one. Secondarily a second key just for those but more of an inconvenience.

I'd say visit a locksmith who can deal with tumbler plates. Possibly a Vw shop can do this too if they have someone knowledgeable.

Does your key work in the glove box lock ?

The key works in the ignition and trunk. There is a separate key for the glove compartment. I am fine having a secondary key for the doors if that makes it easier/cheaper/possible for me to install myself.

davideric9 Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:08 am

I worked on my locks and learned to rekey them, not hard at all. Might help to get some spare locks at the junk yard so you will have a nice selection of lock wafers. Search around here and find the post on how to. You can get the lock code from the rear hatch lock and have a new key made from the code, then rekey the rest of the locks to match...

Smeele Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:15 am

davideric9 wrote: I worked on my locks and learned to rekey them, not hard at all. Might help to get some spare locks at the junk yard so you will have a nice selection of lock wafers. Search around here and find the post on how to. You can get the lock code from the rear hatch lock and have a new key made from the code, then rekey the rest of the locks to match...

Sweet thanks for the advice I will look into it and find some new locks.

WestyBob Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:51 am

davideric9 wrote: You can get the lock code from the rear hatch lock and have a new key made from the code, then rekey the rest of the locks to match...

Maybe I'm confused but he said the ignition key works in the rear hatch lock so why would he need that code to make a new key ? Doesn't he just need to rekey the other three locks to the ignition key ?

BTW OP -- the lock tumblers I've seen have a very tiny screw that opens access to the wafers which line up like dominos. Take care not to spill those out or lose the screw.

davideric9 Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 am

Good point about the key working. Just seems like starting with a new key makes the process more rewarding. A new key is not necessary. As for access to the lock barrel, each lock is different, front doors, slider, rear hatch and ignition, all different designs holding things together.

WestyBob Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 am

davideric9 wrote: As for access to the lock barrel, each lock is different, front doors, slider, rear hatch and ignition, all different designs holding things together.

A friend in VanWa who is a vanagon enthusiast and locksmith -- I believe the ones he showed me were on the front doors with access as described above.