TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear hatch won't unlatch
mojobus Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 am

My 70 project rear hatch won't unlatch - the flipper on the button mechanism doesn't have enough push travel to disengage the latch - it touches it but not enough to disengage - I have to go inside and release it from there . everything looks clean and moving free. Any adjustment here ? something broken in the latch mechanism?

Yarkle Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:46 am

When we did the one on Weld, the old one looked Ok until we took it apart, and there was alot of corrosion you couldnt see from when it was installed..maybe if you take it out and eyeball it?

mojobus Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:48 am

Yarkle wrote: When we did the one on Weld, the old one looked Ok until we took it apart, and there was alot of corrosion you couldnt see from when it was installed..maybe if you take it out and eyeball it?

I took it out and had a look - looks fine. releases easily with my finger from the inside . the button just doesn't have enough travel to push it- is there maybe a piece missing - like a nylon block on the latch ? can't find a diagram online .

Yarkle Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:54 pm

i dont think its a separate part, the triangle thing is one part and the button is another..Zap it with kroil, then Lube it?

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/8-032.jpg

Tcash Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Does yours look like one of these?
If you cannot get it to work.
See the hole in the middle of the release lever.
maybe put a nut on a screw, stick it through the hole and adjust as necessary so the button contacts it and put a nut on the outside to lock it down.

Good luck
Tcash

busdaddy Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Make sure the screw holding the lever on the back of the button isn't coming loose, that happens alot.

If not make sure the lever on the latch mechanism isn't bent and add something to it as T cash suggested if it still doesn't work.

mojobus Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Tcash wrote: Does yours look like one of these?
If you cannot get it to work.
See the hole in the middle of the release lever.
maybe put a nut on a screw, stick it through the hole and adjust as necessary so the button contacts it and put a nut on the outside to lock it down.

Good luck
Tcash

that's what I have - I'll try the screw extension trick. thanks

outcaststudios Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:19 pm

is this part available still?

busdaddy Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:51 pm

outcaststudios wrote: is this part available still?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
You want the one with the full triangle, the later flat ones won't fit.

Tcash Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:52 pm

outcaststudios wrote: is this part available still?

Search rear hatch
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

outcaststudios Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:05 pm

thanks guys! found one for 50 bux same 211829211E i pulled from mine. for the first time in 20 years i will have a rear hatch that latches! im stoked!