TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ever seen this tin poster with 1936 prototypes?
1960Turkis Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:24 am

Hello everyone,

A while ago I bought a tin poster, showing a nice picture of 3 prototypes and some people around them. It is saying 1936.

Sorry for the bad pics.

I do not think it is verry special, but just liked it. I am suprised I can't find anything about them on the internet. I just found one (deleted) add here on TheSamba. (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1203752) Thats all I can find.... No info anywhere. This guy was asking $475 by the way.

So my question is if anybody knows something about this plate? How old they are for example. And who are these three man?

Just curious :) Thanks for your thoughts.

GArBa Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 am

it's one of a series of vw-themed paintings made by german automotive artist Walter Gotschke. IIRC in the series there is this one, another one depicting the wolfsburg factory during the british administration, a street scene in stuttgart in the 50s and a dune buggy on a US highway in the 60s. I remember seeing all of them in the book "VW Beetle - an illustrated hystory" by Nikolaus Reichert and Hans Joachim Klersy.

1960Turkis Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:55 am

Thank you very much for your answer! That is some nice info.

I had a search for the work of Walter Gotschke, and saw some nice pictures. For the interested ones; here are the other VW-related paintings referred to:

1946 Wolfsburg By Walter Gotschke

Beetles In the USA New York By Walter Gotschke

Traffic As Usual In The Königstrasse Stuttgart Germany By Walter Gotschke

And the one I have:

Ferdinand Porsche Surrounded By His Employees In The Yard Of The Porsche Villa In Stuttgart. The Experimental Beetles Are V1 And V2 (Left Front And Rear), The Third (In The Background) Is One Of The Volkswagen 3 Series. By Walter Gotschke

Leaves me wondering when my tin poster was made. Any opinions about that?

1960Turkis Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 am

Found that they are still for sale; but it's a differnt design than the one I have:
http://www.nostalgic-designs.com/acatalog/VOLKSWAGEN_CARS___VANS.html

So if anyone knows when the style I have was produced, would like to know that.

Herbie3Rivers Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:33 am

I have a set of the actual prints depicting all of those scenes from 1930-1970. I've had them for probably 20 years now. I wonder if the series was ever continued.

enjoy the VieW Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:26 am

Hi,

I thought they were made at in the late 70's for 40 years Volkswagen.
A full set are 5 posters.

But i don't know if they were dealership posters, or just great drawings by Walter Gotschke...

Measurements:
73cm x 57,5cm

They are pretty rare to find!

Anyone else more info about it??

This is what i found about Walter Gotschke:

Of those artists throughout the world who have dedicated themselves to the automobile, only a select few have achieved worldwide renown - one of them being Walter Gotschke. Road & Track dubbed him "perhaps the world's greatest automotive artist."

His impressionistic gouaches not only portray the typical character of each race driver and his driving style, along with the authenticity of an historic event and cars true to the smallest detail, but also make the race atmosphere palpable, so that one can almost hear and smell the event from his art.

This self-taught artist was born in 1912 in a village of imperial Austrian Silesia (now Czech Republic) but lived and worked in Stuttgart, Germany from 1938.

Gotschke drew passionately even as a child, commencing with animals. Aged 11 he became fascinated by the first automobiles. From memory alone he tried repeatedly to draw the few cars that passed through his rural backwater. The later student of architecture experienced his first races in his homeland: the Ecce-Homo Hillclimb, the Masaryk Grand Prix and others. By seventeen his race sketches were published, followed a year later by the Masaryk Grand Prix poster.

Alongside decades of advertising work for Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Fiat, VW, etc., Walter Gotschke's favorite task was painting automobile races. During his later period of life this evolved to become his chief activity, and he was honored as an emeritus by the distinguished Automotive Fine Arts Society. His art has been featured in major publications around the world including Motor Revue, Sports Illustrated, Auto Motor und Sport, and Automobile Quarterly.

In 1985 an eye disease gradually turned into blindness and by the autumn of 2000 his eyes closed for ever.

Peter_N Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 am

Last week I got the 1936 poster from a local who used to work on VW's.
I can't find much more info on it, besides this topic.
Plan is to frame it and hang it on my shop wall.