TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1964 type 1 fuel tank vent squeezed somewhat closed?
fifthcenturycheese Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Just below below the filler cap, about half way down the filler spout, is a tube that the rubber vent hose attaches to on the outside. That metallic tube has been mostly pinched closed on the inside of the filler spout. Did someone screw it up, or is this factory for some reason? Still getting fuel smell in cabin area, vent hose is good, cap has correct new replacement seal. Maybe it's the pinched off vent tube????? Please help, thank you.

fifthcenturycheese Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Here is a picture of the tube.... If someone could go outside and eyeball theirs and let me know what they look like I would appreciate it!

chrism0107 Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:06 pm

My vent is the same. It is not a problem

grandpa pete Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:25 pm

The hose is not an overflow it is a VENT and should loop up and over and end down below the front beam . There are plastic clips that hold the tube in place.
You are getting a fuel smell because your not vented properly .
Having the tube "squashed " could hinder performance . you can only pull fuel out of the tank as fast as air can get into the tank through this vent .

bluebus86 Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 pm

All of mine are crimped mostly but not all the way closed, it is a factory crimp.

grandpa pete Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:54 pm

If you look through the owners manuals there is a black and white photo of the vent as I did it .

Nevada Notch Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Unfortunately it's an overflow if you fill the tank into the neck and the let it sit with the cap on in a hot garage.

I've done this about 5 times already!

DOH!

bluebus86 Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:48 pm

It's a vent and an overflow. Two functions, one part, amazing!!!! It's frickin magic...

Now I have to ask.... Can something vent from an overflow? And can something overflow from a vent? (can something overflow to a vent???)

I done venting. Or am I done overflowing. ugh!!!!!! :? :? :? :? :?

robertspahr Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:21 am

Anyone know where I can get the clips that hold the fuel vent hose? My car is missing the clips. Also, is the fuel vent hose the same diameter as the fuel line?

Thanks!

vwnut1 Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Try WW, it appears to be out of stock....

Part # Price Qty. In Stock
111201261 $0.00 No

61SNRF Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:47 am

robertspahr wrote: Anyone know where I can get the clips that hold the fuel vent hose? My car is missing the clips. Also, is the fuel vent hose the same diameter as the fuel line?

Thanks!
Clip that holds fuel tank vent hose is same as Volvo spark plug wire clip.
Volvo part number 1306510...

Get them at a Volvo dealer, search the web for a vendor, or Pelican parts has them too...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_se...n=+1306510

glutamodo Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:16 pm

robertspahr wrote: . Also, is the fuel vent hose the same diameter as the fuel line?

Thanks!

No, it's smaller - you can use vacuum advance hose. Right now I think I'm using "yellow stripe" diesel grade 3.5mm hose, it seems to hold up better.

-Andy