TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Painting a hood
far rider Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:22 am

Wondering if it's possible to paint both sides of a hood at once? My vert is all apart and would like to paint everything in one day. Just trying to get the job over all at once. Thinking about hanging it. If you've done both sides at once would like to hear about it.

buguy Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 am

Sure you can hang it. But you would probably get better results by having it laying down flat. If it were me, I would paint the bottom of the hood, bottom of the decklid, inside the car, engine bay, and underhood area first. Let it sit a day or 2, then mask those areas off and spray the rest. I have some multi-stands, so I would use those to hold the doors. If you dont have a good way to hang those. I would do the inside of those first too.

far rider Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm

buguy wrote: Sure you can hang it. But you would probably get better results by having it laying down flat. If it were me, I would paint the bottom of the hood, bottom of the decklid, inside the car, engine bay, and underhood area first. Let it sit a day or 2, then mask those areas off and spray the rest. I have some multi-stands, so I would use those to hold the doors. If you dont have a good way to hang those. I would do the inside of those first too.
Buguy,
Thanks for the tips. How do I deal with overspray? I'm using BC/CC. If I paint the interior first, do I need to tape off at the jams or just paint them and sand overspray that will get on the outside off when dry ? and then find a place in the jam where I can tape off to protect the completed inside, to spray the outside?

buguy Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:54 pm

Hood and decklid are no problem just tape off the back up to where it rolls around, or just shy of that. You wont notice the over spray on the edge. The doors have a natural line you can mask. The interior masking will be the toughest. There are a lot of ways to do it. But they can be tricky, I think I would just roll an edge in one of the tighter corners.

buguy Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Something like this:

buguy Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:07 pm

And I personally wouldnt bother masking off the outside when painting the inside. It might make it dark in there and tough to move the gun around when doing the interior. Id spray and then sand it when its dry. I usually finish sanding the interior first, then paint and clear. The next day I do the finish sanding on the outside, then mask the interior off and spray the outside. If your worried about overspray going all over, you can bag a majority of the car, just dont mask off the winshield area or rear or quarter glass. Meaning dont mask them like the glass was there. You can mask them like it is the exterior paint if that makes you feel better. Just be sure to leave the openings there.

far rider Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks buguy. Mine is a little different situation as it's a convertible, but I get what you're saying and appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

buguy Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh! Well that changes things! But still, just find the least obvious place to break the line and roll it there. The key will be to pull the rolled edge tape as soon as your done, and shoot a little (very little) reducer or blend agent where the new meets the old. That will melt the two together and you wont see the seam. You wont be buffing there, so you dont need to worry about it much.