TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: luggage rack hardware
rayroc Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 am

I took my luggage rack off to paint the roof and now seem to have lost the hardware does anyone know if the brackets from a late bay rack will work?

rockfish Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:35 pm

If the GW product below works - then it would make sense that a late Bay should work. But why not spend $40 on new (and stainless) brackets? Especially since you just painted the luggage rack...my 2 cents.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2459&category_id=&category_parent_id=

djkeev Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Those OEM style footmans loops are so old school!

Who really uses straps and buckles today?
We use bungees with hooks or rope of various types and cinching methods.

You CANNOT get a rope through a footmans loop. You may get a bungee hook in but it's tight.

I found these stainless loops for sail boats at West Marine.
A perfect fit and oh so versatile!

Here is a quote from a post I made about them on this thread.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462517&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

djkeev wrote: While I was at West Marine I made a point of looking for new Stainless Steel Footman Loops. Mine are horribly rusty and a few were missing.

They hadn't any in the size I needed but they did have Stainless Steel Strap Loops which are larger and would allow one to use rope instead of only thin webbing straps.
They were only $3 each so I picked them up.

Here is the receipt with the loop part numbers on it if anyone wants to order them online......

Dave

heidi85ho Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Personally, I like using my kayak/canoe straps. In most cases they are cheaper than buggies, won't snap back, and use a webbing material that is very strong.
And they fit perfectly under the original cleats.

michaelasnider Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:49 am

I think he was asking if the hardware that holds the luggage rack on to the roof would be compatible, not the footmans loops.

Either way I don't have an answer!

Dana Champion Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:21 am

Early Vanagon Westfalia luggage compartments are slightly different than the later ones. They changed the clete base. If the holes line up , they will work. I replaced the ones on my '88 with the GoWesty kit.( I saved the old ones). There is a little more room to attach a rubber coated bungee (design difference), which IMO works well. Of course the original cletes were riveted. I like my ss ones. I put one foot on the front tire and stand there and admire them. :D Go GoWesty

rayroc Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:14 am

I should have spedified that I mean the hardware that secures the rack to the roof

Dana Champion Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:12 am

Here are a few pictures of my '88 when I replaced the seal and hold down cletes. At least this will help show you what to look for.

I doubt the late bay hardware looks like this.

Good luck.

:D

OhBetty Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey guys! How in the world do you get these cam straps off? I'm trying to do something similar with my stock straps but can't figure out how to get them off! :oops:

Appreciate any thoughts.. Thank you!

[email protected] Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:44 am

you need to drill them out

Franagon Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 am

Hey Dana Champion,

Can you confirm you just use the rubber washers on the side 'internal' luggage rack mounts? That is how I see it in your pic on this post. I only found the 2, so I thought the fronts were missing, maybe not. Any reason NOT to put rubber on the front 'internal mounts'?

Thanks!