TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Able to keep original title? Page: 1, 2  Next
howiesfamily Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:35 pm

I just picked up a 76 one owner low mileage bug with the original title. It hasn't been registered since 2005. I want to get it back on the road, but would love to keep the original title. The original owner passed away. If I have it put in my name, I have to surrender the original title to the state. I am in Texas. Anyone know of any tricks to get current tags without giving up the original title?

KTPhil Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:40 pm

I can't figure out either a way to do this, or a reason to want to.

Just scan the original title at high resolution, print and frame it for posterity.

chaosisme Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:06 pm

I know in California you can apply for a duplicate title. Maybe you could file for a duplicate in the original owners name and use that to register the car and keep the original?

Harris Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:21 pm

In Texas you can apply for a title to a car if the original was "lost". Check your local courthouse.

KTPhil Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:56 pm

If you leave it with the old title/name, his heirs may come to claim the car. And they may get it.

I don't see the value here. It's no longer a "one owner car" no matter what the paperwork says.

If I came across such fudged papers, I'd figure the car was hot or at least in dispute and steer clear.

vwinnovator Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:21 am

for a '76 i'd let that title go...

Now for a '60 ragtop original title w/ actual selling price printed on it...that's something to savor 8)

cdennisg Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:21 pm

When you go to the DMV, ask to keep the original title as a souvenir. In Idaho and Oregon (I have done this in both states) they will stamp the old title VOID and SOUVENIR, and give it back to you along with your new title.

cdennisg Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 pm

KTPhil wrote: If you leave it with the old title/name, his heirs may come to claim the car. And they may get it.

I don't see the value here. It's no longer a "one owner car" no matter what the paperwork says.

If I came across such fudged papers, I'd figure the car was hot or at least in dispute and steer clear.

The value is in provenance. History of a vehicle can add value. If this was a '50 beetle with the original title, I sure as hell would love to have the original title to keep.

BenJAMin Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:25 am

If it truly hasn't been registered since '05 it's out of the system. Register it in Vermont per my blog www.benboyle.com and transfer it to Texas.

cdennisg Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 am

BenJAMin wrote: If it truly hasn't been registered since '05 it's out of the system. Register it in Vermont per my blog www.benboyle.com and transfer it to Texas.

He has the title, he does not need a new one. Just because the vehicle has not been registered in a decade does not mean his title is invalid.

BenJAMin Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:53 am

Who said anything about that? He wants to KEEP the title he has now. This is a way that can get it registered in his name without surrendering the old one.

Erik G Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:41 am

Texas will not allow you to keep the original title. Sorry

You have to have a title. Vermont will work if it is a TITLE - If it's just registration, it will not work in TX

the only way to do it would be to say you don't have the title, and to get a bonded title, which is much more expensive and a long process

I have this experience personally, my '64 Sunroof Type 34 had an old real pink slip title from CA, not the big title we have today. They would not let me keep it, so I did a high quality scan and print of it

Conversely, I tried to buy a car that had a Vermont registration (not title). At the tax assessors office, they made it very clear that out of state registration is not sufficient, I would have to do a bonded title. their reasoning was that cars get stolen in CA and AZ and TX and sent to Mexico all the time, if it was that easy, all the stolen cars would end up in TX with valid titles

cdennisg Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

BenJAMin wrote: Who said anything about that? He wants to KEEP the title he has now. This is a way that can get it registered in his name without surrendering the old one.

It sure seemed to me that you thought his title was no good and he needed to go through Vermont to get a new one. I misunderstood I guess.

cdennisg Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Erik G wrote: Texas will not allow you to keep the original title. Sorry

That sucks. I guess the high res scan copy is a good alternative.

BenJAMin Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

It is not true that Texas will not accept the registration they are bound to accept a vehicle registration as per the laws of the State of Vermont

Erik G Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:17 pm

BenJAMin wrote: It is not true that Texas will not accept the registration they are bound to accept a vehicle registration as per the laws of the State of Vermont

You feel free to come to TX and tell that to the tax assessors office. Registration is not Title - it never will be. You cannot use out of state REGISTRATION to get a TITLE in Texas. You can do a bonded title with it, which again, is a lengthy and expensive process

Erik G Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Another thing that is completely separate - you do not have to have a TX title in order to register your car in TX. You can have an out of state TITLE - if it's in your name

mokie dokie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:38 pm

I found a double cab in California that has been out of service for 35 years. Owner says there is no pink slip/ title. We know this is done but have no experience buying without a title. It does have a VIN #. Your suggestions or concerns would be appreciated.

Erik G Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:47 pm

mokie dokie wrote: I found a double cab in California that has been out of service for 35 years. Owner says there is no pink slip/ title. We know this is done but have no experience buying without a title. It does have a VIN #. Your suggestions or concerns would be appreciated.

You would have to take the vehichle to the CA DMV, and have a vin inspection done (free). The inspector fills out the back portion of the "application for title" You fill out the front portion. In the spot for "previous registered owner" write NONE. Have a bill of sale ready so they know how to charge you tax wise. they will give you plates and registration that day. They will take a couple weeks to make sure it's not stolen, and you will receive your title in the mail

be warned that some DMV inspectors wont look at it if it doesnt have a motor and appear to be movable. Some don't care - I've been lucky in the Sacramento office

Ask around and see if you have a friend that can pull up DMV records. My mom had CHP friends that would look up vin numbers for me to be sure they weren't reported as stolen. they wouldnt give me any last owner data or anything, just tell me that they were not reported stolen, before I handed over cash

- Edit -

I've been out of CA 6 years - looks like the forms have changed.

On the application for title, you write NONE in the Legal Owner section

They now have a separate inspection form, where it used to be on the back of the application for title

application for title --> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8c4e5fdb...bd471afdaa

Vin verification form --> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/052f05b3-ea4f-4cde-b017-3d970b8ea1a4/reg31.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

KTPhil Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:34 pm

Erik G wrote: I have this experience personally, my '64 Sunroof Type 34 had an old real pink slip title from CA, not the big title we have today. They would not let me keep it, so I did a high quality scan and print of it

Same here. Even within the same family, they wouldn't let me keep my dad's original pink (PINK) slip. Now they are these large rainbow types and I really wanted to keep the original pink to go with all his other paperwork (including the window sticker), but no dice.

This is California, and it does vary state to state.