TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: replacing rear shift rod bellows
Greg in GA Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 am

So I have the shift rod out, bushings replaced, my question is how do I get the rear shift rod rear bellows in place? The bellows and the shift rod together won't fit through the brace closest to where the bellows goes. The Bentley just says reinstall shift rod :(

EDIT: do I just put the bellow back on the tube and thread the rod and bushing in that way?

curtis4085 Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:57 am

Put the shift rod back in place and then slip bellows over end. Then install coupler.
If the shifter is pulled back it will allow for enough clearance.

Greg in GA Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:38 am

hmm, trying to visualize. if the shift rod is in place, I can't get the bellows and shifter to fit through the bracing. IE the bellows is too stiff and the bracing hole is too small.

curtis4085 Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 am

Greg in GA wrote: hmm, trying to visualize. if the shift rod is in place, I can't get the bellows and shifter to fit through the bracing. IE the bellows is too stiff and the bracing hole is too small.

Picture? Not sure what brace hole your talking about. The bellows should be easy. Little Vaseline or grease and it slides over the end of shift rod onto the shift rod tube..

Tcash Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:57 am

Which one are you asking about. The one on the transmission or the one on the body?

Shifter parts.

Good Luck
Tcash

Greg in GA Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:13 am

In your diagram, it's N, maybe I'm making it harder than it should be, assuming N and the shift rod are out of the bus, what is the procedure to get them both back where they belong?

SGKent Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:22 am

you slide the shift rod in complete the way you want it. Once it is in you slide the N part over the tee on the end, one side goes thru then the other. Think of putting an O on a T. The O slides over one side of the top of the T as far as it will go then drops over the other side of the T. Now you can slide it into place at the back of the shift rod tube.

Greg in GA Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:23 pm

I got the bellows on the shift rod but as I thread the rod into place, there is a bracing the rod goes through where the bellows gets stuck.

SGKent Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Greg in GA wrote: I got the bellows on the shift rod but as I thread the rod into place, there is a bracing the rod goes through where the bellows gets stuck.

The bellows should squeeze down as they are very flexible when new. Are you using the correct bellow? The end slides over the flare in the tube.

Greg in GA Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:10 pm

The one I have looks like this from wolfsburgwest.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711183B

whatdoesthisbuttondo? Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:39 pm

Not sure if this will help you or not. It took me a while to get the order of installation right when I put new bushings in a few weeks back. Same boots you linked to. Engine was out. Way easier with two people, one under bus, one guiding shift rod from rear of bus.

1. front boot over front of rear shift rod housing(the tube attached to the bus). Zip tie in place.
2. guide rod from rear of bus through frame (brace)
3. rod through rear boot
4. rod through wire ring (for rear shift bushing (do this because ring can't expand enough to fit over rod once rod is through housing)
5. install front plastic shift bushing and grease
6. push rod so front shift bushing enters housing, ensure metal ring doesn't enter housing
7. ensure front of shift rod goes through front boot without pulling boot off.
7. rear shift bushing (greased), fit with ring
8. slight tap on end of rod to get rear shift bushing into housing
9. finally, fit rear shift boot over housing. Awkward. Zip tie at end.
10. listen to make sure no grit/rust got into housing

Greg in GA Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:32 am

update: I got the rod in but you have the follow the instructions above to the letter! Thanks what!

btw: pretty horrible job....