TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 6 volt rear window defogger
jseabolt Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey, it's me again. The guy with the VW Type 1 bastard's cousin, the Trabant.

I'm sure this has been covered before but does anyone make a rear window defogger kit for a 6 volt Type 1? My Trabant really needs one bad but I have not been able to find one.

The rear window in my Trabant is about the same size and is curved so it's possible one from a Type 1 might fit.

If one does exist, what are the dimensions on a rear window?

I could do what this guy did and mount one of these $12 systems on the package tray:

But I've just about maxed out my 6 to 12 volt converter. The electronic ignition system I installed pulls out half the available current.

blitz64 Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:30 am

Love the car! I had never heard of it. I googled it and the general consensus is that this was one of the worst cars ever made so it's awesome you have one in such good shape.

carcrazed Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am

Don't use those 12 volt heaters! I have never heard of one that hasn't melted or caught on fire. I had one years ago that ran for about 2 minutes and melted the wires and considered myself lucky since it didn't catch on fire.

Mr. Mike Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:35 am

What a lovely Trabi! Could we see it's engine?

The auction site has some cool one's from the first half of the last century.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-6-volt-Windshield-...mp;vxp=mtr

I agree with carcrazed, stay away from the 12v products. Even with a top-notch converter, you're risking a fire.

jseabolt Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:47 pm

blitz64 wrote: Love the car! I had never heard of it. I googled it and the general consensus is that this was one of the worst cars ever made so it's awesome you have one in such good shape.

It's funny how these websites rate cars as being "bad". I've always wondered what exactly makes a bad car.

In terms of simplicity, The Trabant is probably one of the easiest cars to work on. No fuel pump, no oil pump, no water pump, no camshaft, 2 rotary valves, lawnmower style carburetor (early style).

In terms of reliability it's probably not any worse than any other car built during that era.

They are noisy, bouncy, slow, stinky but is one of the funnest cars I've ever owned. But just like a VW, you have to love one to own one.

I always rated a bad car in terms of how much does it cost to maintain it. A good example would be anything Land Rover produced. I knew of several people who got rid of their Land Rovers because they were constantly in the shop.

Based experiences with newer VWs from family and friends, the old Type 1s as far as reliability put the newer VWs to shame. Dad had twio Jetta TDIs. One was a 2002 model and the other one was a 2009 model.

jseabolt Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Mr. Mike wrote: What a lovely Trabi! Could we see it's engine?

The auction site has some cool one's from the first half of the last century.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-6-volt-Windshield-...mp;vxp=mtr

I agree with carcrazed, stay away from the 12v products. Even with a top-notch converter, you're risking a fire.

I've seen those antique 6 volt suction cup type defrosters before. I thought about buying one. But I'd like to find one with the grid. Frost Fighter makes them for 12 and 24 volt cars but not for 6 volt systems.

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm

My other car a 1968 Ford Fairlane suffers from the same problem when it rains or in the early morning hours. They do make one to fit that car though.

Here is my photo album of my Trabbi from Hungary to Miami to Tennessee:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant?sort=6&page=1

carcrazed Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 am

I most likely will get banned from The Samba for asking this questions, but what engine do you have in the 68 Fairlane? I have a 68 Ford LTD with the 390/4bbl. Was may grandparents ride since new.

EverettB Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 am

carcrazed wrote: I most likely will get banned from The Samba for asking this questions, but what engine do you have in the 68 Fairlane? I have a 68 Ford LTD with the 390/4bbl. Was may grandparents ride since new.

Yes, you will be auto-banned within the hour. :)

Seriously though, this sounds like something to ask via private contact.

bluebus86 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:15 am

EverettB wrote: carcrazed wrote: I most likely will get banned from The Samba for asking this questions, but what engine do you have in the 68 Fairlane? I have a 68 Ford LTD with the 390/4bbl. Was may grandparents ride since new.

Yes, you will be auto-banned within the hour. :)

Seriously though, this sounds like something to ask via private contact.

Banned for mentioning the capitalist Ford but not the communist Trabant???
I smell a post war commie conspiracy here. :lol: :lol:

Are your sure there is not a Red under your bed??? :P :P :P