TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lifted 66 bug
LowNslow '65 Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 am

Hey everyone it's been awhile, recently traded an engine for this 66. I wasnt really looking for another bug but the deal was just to good! Overall the car has alot of dents but mimimal rust which is an ok trade off. The original 1300 runs at the click of the key but the oil light stays on so im going to have to put a different engine in it for now that I have sitting around.

So the big question sell it or build it? With it breing a balljoint car and all i didnt want to lower it cause the panhead hangs down lower and of course binding balljoints. I didnt want to keep it stock so I decided heck why not winter is coming its an older bodystyle. Lift it!

Plans are
Late 60's bus trans with rgbs
Welded spindles
4" widended front beam
Roll cage
Suspension seats
Turbo eventually
Mud tires
NO cutting of the femders or aprons!!
Nice stereo

Heres some pics

Gonna pull the body today and knock it out

LowNslow '65 Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:55 am

Pulled the body today and cleaned the pan widening the beam 4".

Thought this was a cool shot

ottvw Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Don't widen the front end. You'll have to run diffrent control arms in the rear to match it. Here's my lifted 64
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1411895.jpg

LowNslow '65 Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Finished widening the beam, tig welded the adjusters. Had to use two sets of spring packs to get it back together. Now the front tack width matches the width of the bus trans with rgbs.

Installed the lift spindles

Also painted the pan

The bodylift didnt fit very well so I ended up reshaping it and also welded it together. It made the floor pan very strong after I welded it.

Fresh pan gasket

It was a very long weekend

sixfootdan Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:42 am

Awesome man can't wait to se it finished. 8)

LowNslow '65 Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:49 pm

forgot to post a pic of the bus trans and adapter plates

Tig welded some 1/4" thick adaptors

Wheels and tires showed up

I love having my own machine beats waiting around all day to have them mounted by some kid that will somehow scratch them with a dummy proof machine. :lol:

Tig welded and extended the tie rods 1.5 and 2.5 to make the driver tie rod a little longer helps with alignment through travel a tiny bit.

Steering for the bodylift

Enkiel Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:06 pm

So weird and so cool.

LowNslow '65 Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:24 am

Did a quick 4 wheel alignment threw the gas tank seats and engine back in it and drove it! Its really fun to drive!

sixfootdan Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:33 am

LowNslow '65 wrote:
I love having my own machine beats waiting around all day to have them mounted by some kid that will somehow scratch them with a dummy proof machine. :lol:

I wish we were neighbors :lol:

Ratt Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 am

That looks SICK! I love the way it stands. Where about in Washington are you? I'm moving back to Kitsap county this winter.

blacktruck Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 pm

props
that is badass!

sovereignsamba Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:47 pm

How do you control the hop? I have a similar set up, hops like hell.

LowNslow '65 Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:27 pm

shane red wrote: How do you control the hop? I have a similar set up, hops like hell.

So far i havnt noticed any, the 1300 does well enough to maintain 60-65 but its pretty weak. I only have a few inches of down travel so when i floor it from a stop it pushes the springplates and bottoms them out. Kinda mimmicks limiting straps.

ottvw Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 pm

So your the one who own it? I seen a pic of it from last weekends show. Cars lookin sweet!

caleb0101 Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:22 pm

COOL!!!!!!!!