TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: oxy sensor, location ??
morymob Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 am

77 , all? Fi seems on. Where is the cold stsrt valve or is this dropped with fi? Also location of oxy sensor? Not familiar with this eng. Exhaust from heater boxes replaced with a 'header' looking section,.

SGKent Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:46 am

the question show you have not studied the FI system, and are trying to equate it to others you have known. Read the manual on it. There is no O2 sensor on a 1977. Here is a pdf you should look over.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi...Manual.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg in GA Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:48 am

hey, VW FI of this generation didn't use an O2 sensor. It measures the air flow and gives it fuel based on that. As for the cold start valve, it us mounted directly to the plenum. The pill looking thing that the intake runners extend from.

morymob Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 am

SGKent wrote: the question show you have not studied the FI system, and are trying to equate it to others you have known. Read the manual on it. There is no O2 sensor on a 1977. Here is a pdf you should look over.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi...Manual.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ had u read i stated i'm not familiar withis eng & probably won't need to be, had my bay, nuff said. Only trying to help someone with a problem with his.

airschooled Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:40 am

I see you've posted a bit in the Vanagon forum. The stock bay fuel injection systems did not use an O2 sensor, except for the '79 California emissions setup; it did.

SGKent Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:19 am

Quote: Only trying to help someone with a problem with his.

It was never meant as an insult. It is just that if you want to get involved with it, you will need to spend some time learning how it works. It isn't hard but if you approach it with what do I do next, the different ways people think here in the bay forum will drag you all over the marsh. Sometimes this place is like 5 blind men trying to describe an elephant. You know the story - one guy says it was like a tree trunk, the next says it was like ole parchment paper that moved, another says it was like a rope with a paint brush on the end, another says it was like the side of an old weathered barn while one guy asks why his experience was so different being that it was like a firehose that breathed and smelled of peanuts.

Tcash Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:20 am

If the PO put carbs on the CSV is gone.

Good luck
Tcash

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums