TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: question about a dual carb 1915
mlew85 Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:49 pm

So i bought a sand rail with a 1915 type 1 motor with dual weber 40 idf carbs. This is my first air cooled vw motor. I took the motor out and put it into a different application. I was cleaning the carbs and noticed the carbs are different i think one is a stock weber and the other is an aftermarket one. I imagine the previous owner converted to dual carb and kept the one stock carb. My question is this, the one carb (assuming stock one) has the start jets and valves the other one does not also the emulsion tube holder sits much higher on the stock one. Is this setup okay to run as is or should i change something? It ran while in the sand rail seemingly fine but i have never driven a vw motor before this one so my perception of "fine" could have been a little off.
Any input is appreciated thanks.

66brm Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Ok firstly you have a modified vw engine, they didn't originally have weber IDF carbs so both are non original, can you post pics of the carbs? It sounds like the PO has put together a pair from different sources, (could be Empi) as well as weber.

The different heights shouldn't matter hugely, its more the jetting, float setting and linkages that will determine how well it will run provided the carbs are set up the same

Oh and welcome to The samba

Dale M. Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:15 am

Typically the enrichment jets are disabled and not used, practice is to keep plungers in place (a must) and disable activation by using blank cover plate...

Emulsion tube holders don't make a whole lot of difference (short or long) I personally like the long for easy access in changing and cleaning.. If it bothers you make both carbs the same...

All Stock VW has was a singe 28 to 32 mm (year/modem dependent) single throat carb from factory... The Webers IDF 40's you have are after market and may have originally come off a Fiat or some such Italian thing...

Need to learn more...

Being it looks like carbs may have come from two different sources, I would also pull the jets and see if they all match...

Dale