TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Date coding 6V generator
Envious Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I've ready Everett's thread about date coding Bosch electrical but I can't seem to apply that information to my generator.
The thread states "Parts are stamped with a 2 or 3-digit sequence.
From 1920-1963, the format was 1 or 2 numeric digits, then an alpha character.
The first 1 or 2 digits are the month, 1 through 12.
The last digit, a letter, is the year.
For 1964-1969, Bosch used a 3-digit numbering scheme. The first digit is the last number of the year. The second 2 digits represent the month.
Example: 401 would be January, 1964. "

What am I missing?

sjbartnik Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:48 pm

What do you mean? It's obviously date-coded Twenty-seventember 1962.

EverettB Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07 pm

I don't have any Type 3 ones to check but the 2 6v upright engines ones I have say:
so those both fit the numbering scheme.

Could it be a post-1969 made unit?
Maybe it's year and week of the year, like the 27th week of 1972
Just guessing here...

Envious Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 am

EverettB wrote: I don't have any Type 3 ones to check but the 2 6v upright engines ones I have say:

Just guessing here...
I thought of that too. The photo I posted is from the classifieds. Mine is actually stamped 222.

Hoping to track down an early 64 unit that I can have rebuilt.

meredith murray Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Envious wrote: EverettB wrote: I don't have any Type 3 ones to check but the 2 6v upright engines ones I have say:

Just guessing here...
I thought of that too. The photo I posted is from the classifieds. Mine is actually stamped 222.

Hoping to track down an early 64 unit that I can have rebuilt.

Envious,

Are you looking for a early date code generator because a 1964 generator is different, I remember that somewhere?

I'm asking because I went to put on my carb after getting it back from Tim at Volkzbitz.com, this is after it not being on in a while, I had put a rebuilt generator on years ago and this is what I get?

I hope I keep my original somewhere?

Envious Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:59 pm

meredith murray wrote:
Are you looking for a early date code generator because a 1964 generator is different, I remember that somewhere?
To the best of my knowledge, all of the 6 volt, type 3 generators are the same. I'm only looking for an early 64 date coded unit in an attempt to make my motor as accurate and original as possible.

I don't expect everyone to understand what I'm trying to accomplish but it's important to me to make this car correct down to every last detail.

meredith murray Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Envious wrote: meredith murray wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, all of the 6 volt, type 3 generators are the same. I'm only looking for an early 64 date coded unit in an attempt to make my motor as accurate and original as possible.

I don't expect everyone to understand what I'm trying to accomplish but it's important to me to make this car correct down to every last detail.

I'm the same, as you know from my other carpet questions and door panel color. I should have stated mine is for a type 1. In fact most of my date codes on my stuff is 01-64

W1K1 Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I hav a 6v and a 12v, this is what they have on them

ibjack Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Dave, I think you have reached the extreme nitty gritty for correctness. Next thing you know you will be drinking Patron and going on about wild stories of side markers that have side specific part numbers. Like some other "amigo" we know. Time to just step back and away from the computer (And generator)

Envious Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 pm

ibjack wrote: Dave, I think you have reached the extreme nitty gritty for correctness. Next thing you know you will be drinking Patron and going on about wild stories of side markers that have side specific part numbers. Like some other "amigo" we know. Time to just step back and away from the computer (And generator)
Ha! Anything worth doing is worth doing right. I aiming to show up with it in Socal in 2017. I know you guys will be checking :) Watch for the Ontario plates

notchboy Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:38 am

Envious wrote: ibjack wrote: Dave, I think you have reached the extreme nitty gritty for correctness. Next thing you know you will be drinking Patron and going on about wild stories of side markers that have side specific part numbers. Like some other "amigo" we know. Time to just step back and away from the computer (And generator)
Ha! Anything worth doing is worth doing right. I aiming to show up with it in Socal in 2017. I know you guys will be checking :) Watch for the Ontario plates

I was going to say has it come to this? Complete numbers matching correctness hounds! :lol:

We need to start importing air from Germany for our tires?

Which I already have in my collection BTW slackers :roll:

Envious Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:41 am

The way I see it, if I'm going to go through the effort to have a generator restored and rebuilt, why not try to track down the correct one.

pedro sainz Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Envious wrote: The way I see it, if I'm going to go through the effort to have a generator restored and rebuilt, why not try to track down the correct one.

Ok you got me looking on one of my generators
Has 421. I still don't get it
Is this mean 1964 week #21 ?
Or should I get another shot of Patron and forget about it
And stay on my left and right side markers truth story matching set :)

notchboy Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Envious wrote: The way I see it, if I'm going to go through the effort to have a generator restored and rebuilt, why not try to track down the correct one.

I know, but Im still going to pick on you :wink: And you to Pedro - Mr Sidemarker.

:lol:

Tram Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:26 pm

notchboy wrote: Envious wrote: The way I see it, if I'm going to go through the effort to have a generator restored and rebuilt, why not try to track down the correct one.

I know, but Im still going to pick on you :wink: And you to Pedro - Mr Sidemarker.

:lol:

Feckin' geeks...

But seriously... this is a great thread, the sidemarker info is great, the Cabrio info thread is great, the interior threads are great... all of this helps to lead all of us to build better cars.

Now... when all of you are done with all this stuff- how about some factory paint mark and M code stamp talk?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548065&highlight=

I'm not expecting everyone to know what they mean... but if people could photo and post em as they clean and find them it would be cool.

Somewhere, there is a DIN assembly chart that will clue us in.

Envious Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Tram wrote: Now... when all of you are done with all this stuff- how about some factory paint mark and M code stamp talk?
I'm on it. I was looking for information about factory markings for my motor when I came across your thread. I'll post to it tomorrow when I take some pics.

notchback Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:32 pm

I went out to check the generator on my July '64 engine and it has a Bosch rebuild tag on it, so it's probably no where near original. I didn't bother trying to pull the engine off the shelf to check the generator.

Tram Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 pm

notchback wrote: I went out to check the generator on my July '64 engine and it has a Bosch rebuild tag on it, so it's probably no where near original. I didn't bother trying to pull the engine off the shelf to check the generator.

The one with the "GEX" sticker on it?

Envious Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:20 pm

FWIW, the date code on mine is 227 which looks like July of 1972. I bought it as an NOS unit almost 10 years ago. I'm on the hunt for one with 401, 402, 403, or 404 if anybody happens to have one on the shelf they want to part with.