TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Mechanic Northern CA HELP!
dangerousmartini Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 am

Dear VW Bus Family,

I have run into a long series of bad mechanics who have left me right where I started 3 years ago. Everyone I know says to give up on my VW Bus, but I am not. I have a new/rebuilt long block, I just need someone who knows how to work on old VW's like ours and what they are doing and put it all back together.

I had 1.7 liter Porsche high performance pancake engine, and we tried to upgrade it to a 2.0 liter long block. Long sad story, but I need to tow it from the shop to a reputable honest mechanic as soon as possible. I live in Pacifica, CA. My bus is in Rancho Cordova, CA. I am willing to tow it anywhere for a good, reasonable honest mechanic would like to get her running again.

I have replaced the transmission, all of the electrical, the brakes, went down to one new carburetor, all new parts. We just had trouble with the Camshaft. We had one reground twice and still are having trouble with the Cam & Lifters.

I will also be restoring her custom interior and could use some help there as well.

Thank you for your help.

Tre Taylor

510-658-JAZZ (5299)

www.reallyweirdstuff.com

Globespotter Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:25 am

I recommend Kombi Haus in Sacramento:

2635 34th St, Sacramento, CA 95817
(916) 456-5615

http://kombihaus.com/

HerrMahnenschmidt Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:38 am

The best VW mechanic I know is...me.

The best VW mechanic you may come to know is...you.

I suggest that your best bet is for you to assume full mechanical oversight for your bus. Both of you will be better off for the experience and effort. Accept that you own a 36+ year old collectible vehicle, and that the number and availability of qualified mechanics (and parts sources) is shrinking by the day. This is an investment and labor of love, mixed with a touch of insanity. Not for the faint of heart, or those who merely want to look cool without getting shite under their fingernails.

There are a lot of resources available (present setting especially) to gently and patiently guide even the most novice mechanic into successful repairs of most every component on your aircooled VW, save for perhaps transaxles, and even those are not beyond the ability of the truly determined.

Good luck.

Tcash Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Tcash wrote: VW Business Listing

vw donvieira Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:06 pm

VW Jim in Lodi, CA. (209)366-1102

-VERY reasonable rates

-Lives and breathes Type I air-cooled VW

VWdon