TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My bugaru! (Subaru ej20 beetle conversion) Page: 1, 2  Next
2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Well here's the beginning of my project.
I have played with bugs and busses for years but now seems to be the right time for something new. I have heard of the Subaru conversions many times but its popularity in the uk seems pretty scarce.
Something about taking my 32 Hp bug to 225 bhp got me excited.
I started out scouring the net for a donar car with no avail. Then in passing conversation, I discovered that my freind had a 2litre turbo Subaru Forester for sale for only £500!
This was great as I have only set my budget at £1000 for the whole project. A bit low you may think? We will see! :shock:
So the project starts!
The first job was to strip the forester. This blog will document cost, time and problems to my build. I'm hoping it will help me and others who want to attempt this conversion.
So my first job was to cut the wiring harness down. At this stage I will remove all unused lighting wires but keeping the built in alarm, immobiliser and heating system
It was surprising how many wires there were. The whole job took me 4 hours, carefully removing the dash board carpets and seats.
My trick for success was to start the car after I removed any wire!

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 pm

My next job was to remove the engine. This only took two hours. All parts not needed were carefully removed. These would be sold later on eBay. My plan is to use this cash in my £1000 budget.
Wheels were sold for £100 so I'm only £400 in so far!! And 6 hrs!What a great start!

I then stripped the engine down, cleaned and polished it. This took a surprising amount of time. The engine took 3 hrs and the ancillary components took around 6 hrs.

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Now all the components are polished it's time to put it all back together.
This took around 3 hrs.
If you look carefully you can see I'm keeping the ac in this project. I removed the powersteering pump but used the bracket to adjust the altenator. I am going to my local parts shop tomorrow to buy a smaller belt!

Next on the list was the sump. To achieve a good level of ground clearance I'm reducing the sump by 55 mm (2 and a bit inches)

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:00 pm

So the sump took around 2 hrs with modifying the oil pick up.
£10 was spent rebuilding the engine on gasket sealer but in the meantime I have sold the grill for £20.
Total build cost now stands at £390!20hrs

Now the engine is complete its time to build my adapter kit. I was an engineer in a previous life so this should be a sinch ( and save me $500 plus shipping from Kennedy!)
First I took lots of measurements. Then I took some more. A bit of head scratching later and I was off!
First job was to bore the centre out on my old flywheel. A spacer will be made and welded onto the flywheel and drilled to fit the Subaru engine.

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Now the flywheel is finished its time to make the adapter plate. I made a template from wood first to make sure it fits. I then transferred the measurements onto my steel plate. I am using 6 mm mild steel.

This stage took me 4 hrs. The boss was free as it was an offcut( would cost £10appro and the plate cost me £10.
Tuning cost £400 24 hrs

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:20 pm

2005wiggywiggy Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Engine out now. 30 mins. Not bad.
Parts shop tomorrow. New filters belts and oil then the big push to get the Subaru engine in!

Glenn Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

How long do you think that tranny will last?

2005wiggywiggy Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:48 am

I'm not sure to be honest. All research around tells me it will last as long as you don't drive it like a maniac! I have read posts from a guy who has had his converted running 300hp on stock tranny for nearly 5 years. Only time will tell! :roll: Of to the shop now to buy some parts!

andy198712 Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:15 am

Cool!
nice project.

whats the run out on the flywheel like do you know? not seen it done like that before.

are you planning to sell all that you can then weigh in the body right? should get an extra £100 for that you think?

2005wiggywiggy Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:38 am

Hi Andy. I have the front end parts on eBay for £80, airbags for 50 and a spare wheel for £25, I still have gearbox , diff , steering pump etc so I'm hoping to to clear £250 by the time it's sold, I gave the shell to the scrappy as its only £15 a ton at the mo. I'm not sure about the run on at the moment. I had it in the lathe and it seemed pretty well balanced so fingers crossed!!
New oil filter, oil and shorter altenator belt purchased today at £31! GSF have 35% off this weekend if you order online!! Promo code THD35!

andy198712 Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:30 am

Bad scrap price! :(

Cheers for the code! Will try it on veewee there aircooled site.

:)

andk5591 Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:58 am

Glenn wrote: How long do you think that tranny will last?

All depends on how you drive. Have had lengthy conversations and emails with quite a few folks that know since I am doing my own swap over the winter.

Was at a VW drag and a guy had a serious transaxle built for his rotary powered bug. First launch was great, second one he had bad wheel hop and scattered it. Have a good buddy that has built some VERY serious V-dugs (turbo, FI AND nitrous) has run a mix of stock and modified for dunes and racing in various cars. Never broke. His big thing was guys that break them arent driving them right most of the time or have set up issues. Joel the Aussie has put countless miles on a stock transaxle in a Suby converstion as have many others.

You just dont beat it and it will last. But that being said, since I needed a transaxle built with the proper gearing (3.88) I went pro-street with a super diff since it didnt cost that much more.

2005wiggywiggy Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:56 am

Very productive day today. Fire wall cut( to allow for turbo , exhaust and inter cooler, inner wings shortened( a bit too much to be honest, but the bit cut out was rusty. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!) and engine in!!!! Yay me!
Only one mistake though. The bolt above the starter for gearbox. In my haste I put a 75 mm long bolt in. It's too short!!! Ahhhhhhhh!
Never mind.
Note to self: when engine comes back out to spray the engine compartment , put in a longer bolt!!!!
So home now. Have to do some diy to keep the mrs happy. She's away see and she's back tomorrow. I told her I was hard at work at home! Mmmmm
I see trouble ahead. If only she was as excited about the bugaru as I am!!

koolkarmakombi Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:21 am

Nice. Check out Mighty Car Mods recent sleeper beetle for inspiration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpb2Him9CUo

2005wiggywiggy Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:12 am

Wow, that's amazing!
Certainly given me some ideas for the radiator. I was going to put it at the front of the car but seriously considering putting it in the back now!
Thanks for the post!

andk5591 Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:41 am

2 things - any idea how much oil capacity you have lost with your sump mod? Have been considering what you did and have been debating changing the shape to restore the oil quantity..

#2 - do soe more research - look on shoptalkforums - there is a section in transplants and it seems that a lot of folks have not hade much success with rear radiators. I dont have first hand experience, just throwing this out there.

2005wiggywiggy Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:47 am

When I fabricated the sump I angled a section across the sump to restore some oil quantity. I reckon I have lost less than a litre. This being said, I'm thinking of adding an oil cooler. Some of the boys in oz are running with nearly 2 litres less and they are every day drivers!
Maybe I will stick with the upfront rad. This way I have somewhere behind the seats to put the heater and air con matrix!

2005wiggywiggy Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Do anyone know if I need the speed sensor if I'm using the stock Subaru wiring harness?
Whilst watching the clip below it mentioned there setup needed it to tell the ecu when to boost. Any advice would be greatly received!

66brm Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:11 pm

That car is a strip only car, you will be better off running a front mounted radiator for street duties, the sensor was fitted to have different boost levels dependent on what gear they were in, you shouldn't need it