TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I am clearly out of my mind.... 62 Type 34 resto-mod project Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Greeting.

I recently came across a Type 34. It was advertised as a '65 but it is not. At least the body is not. Perhaps the chassis is.

I have located the serial on the chassis, at the rear part of the tunnel; however, I cannot find the body plate. I think it has been removed at some point. The only number I can find in that area is a "3179" near where the plate used to be.

I have not confirmed the engine serial as I have not had time.

This car needs serious work. I have even hesitated whether to chop it up and part it out (normally anathema to me!) or fix it. I want to fix it.

I am not afraid to spend money on it. I think in 10 or twenty years, these cars will find fetch high prices.

That said, the body is rough. I purchased the car from a wonderful guy who loves his VWs. He is currently working on restoring a Thing.

Here a few pics for the curious. I know I can quadruple my investment just parting it out.... or swallow about $15,000 by rebuilding it; yet the latter still appeals to me tremendously.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:19 pm

The latter picture above is about where the original vin plate used to be (in the front quite hear the fuel filler tube.

A few more pictures.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:23 pm

The PO had the body off. New pan definitely as well as new or reconditioned beam from what I can see. There are lots of newish parts (lots of black paint or POR-15) in the rear area too.

I think he got the pan/chassis in good shape and then put the body on and sort lost the enthusiasm. PO told me had it for about ten years, and stored for almost all of that.

Finally just wanted the space in his workshop so sold it to me. It was not expensive.

Smushy Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:29 pm

I saw this car and got the pictures as well, I'm glad to see it on here hope it goes well in your hands. The price looked good, hopefully it's mostly there for you.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:31 pm

I think what I am after is some feedback on whether to ditch this project of get on with it.

The good thing is that both lids are very solid and rust free. The doors are also rust free.

All the glass is there and seems in good shape. Even the chrome around the windows is all there and relatively good shape.

The dash is all there and seems to function.

Engine/tranny are there. I have to check numbers to see if engine matches the chassis.

The guy provided me with 3 bumpers. Two for Type 34 and one for Type 14 (I think).

The bad....

The body from about 6 up from the pan.

The car did come with some newish rocker panels but I am not sure they are meant for this car or a Type 14 Ghia.... any one id the parts for me? (see pic)

jaransonT3 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:32 pm

I have seen people start with a lot less and worse.

Does it have a vinyl top? I haven't seen that before on a Type 34. Interesting look.

Good luck with it.

jaransonT3 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:34 pm

From the part sticker on the rocker panels, I would say they are Type 14 since the Type 34s were only made from 62-69.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Smushy wrote: I saw this car and got the pictures as well, I'm glad to see it on here hope it goes well in your hands. The price looked good, hopefully it's mostly there for you.

Thanks. I wonder if the owner is actually on TheSamba? He loves his VWs.

I don't think I will part it out. I am actually quite jazzed about the rebuild. I can weld the unseen metal but I expect I will take the body to a professional to deal with the more visible areas. Time will tell.

It was a good deal and the gentleman was a super guy. I hope he is lurking around here somewhere.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm

jaransonT3 wrote: I have seen people start with a lot less and worse.

Does it have a vinyl top? I haven't seen that before on a Type 34. Interesting look.

Good luck with it.

Thank you. It does have a vinyl top.. is that unusual? I had hoped someone could fill me in on whether or not this is original and if it can be preserved; I kind of like the vinyl top. I assumed hordes of Ghias had similar tops.

jaransonT3 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:42 pm

I think a vinyl top was optional on Type 14 Ghias but I have never seen it on a Type 34. Lee Hedges will know for sure.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Some pics of the dash.... and one shot of the bottom of the car.

sctbrd Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:08 pm

The T34 world Facebook group has a lot of people willing to help. Lee Hedges runs the group and can answer questions- he may even have historic info on your car.
Replacement rocker panels- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721001.

Some T34 parts in Manitoba, eBay user Tiga78: http://www.ebay.com/sch/tiga78/m.html

Dual horns were before 1965. Pushbutton windshield washer is early too.

Go with the original red- I love mine...

Smushy Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm

HolyRoller wrote:
Thanks. I wonder if the owner is actually on TheSamba? He loves his VWs.

It was a good deal and the gentleman was a super guy. I hope he is lurking around here somewhere.

Perhaps he is if he has a number of VWs. I would work on restoring it, or at least make it functional again, pretty rare car (especially up north) would be upsetting to see it parted. I've never seen one with a vinyl roof, perhaps it was added.

HolyRoller Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:37 pm

sctbrd wrote: The T34 world Facebook group has a lot of people willing to help. Lee Hedges runs the group and can answer questions- he may even have historic info on your car.
Replacement rocker panels- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721001.

Some T34 parts in Manitoba, eBay user Tiga78: http://www.ebay.com/sch/tiga78/m.html

Dual horns were before 1965. Pushbutton windshield washer is early too.

Go with the original red- I love mine...

Wow, thanks for the links. I really appreciate it!

ibjack Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 pm

That's an early car for sure as the fresh air slides on the dash are a key indicater. Rust is less of an issue than missing parts and accident damage. Most of the body parts you need are available and the rest can be found or fabbed. Whatever you do, do not throw anything away! I say go for it as your assessment of value is correct. 15k into an early car to bring it back to great condition is still a winning proposition. Check under the rear seat to find the vin # on the pan

ibjack Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 pm

My estimates on value are purely for a stock set up. Customs fetch much less consistently.

t3kg Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:59 pm

It does appear to be a '62 from several telltale details -- the fresh air levers on the dash as Jack mentioned, two-piece window trim on the windshield and rear window, the inner sheet metal around the rear decklid, etc. The seats appear to be '63 or later though -- that might be an issue because '62s had unique seat tracks. The vinyl roof is not original.

It's rough for sure but nothing's impossible, especially if you have fabrication and welding skills. That said, if in the end you do end up parting it let me know. I also have a '62 and there are a few things i could use.

Good luck,
Scott

HolyRoller Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks for all the replies. The chassis vin is 0033018. It I am not mistaken, I think that indicates a 1962.

Who would have put the vinyl on the roof? Were companies around to do that sort of thing. It is very tight and well installed. I didn't realize people bought cars and then had vinyl roofs added. Odd but interesting.

I will attempt to keep the roof intact but it is certainly weathered so it may have to go. Wonder what it looks like underneath?

Again, thanks for all the comments.

HolyRoller Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:19 am

t3kg wrote: It does appear to be a '62 from several telltale details -- the fresh air levers on the dash as Jack mentioned, two-piece window trim on the windshield and rear window, the inner sheet metal around the rear decklid, etc. The seats appear to be '63 or later though -- that might be an issue because '62s had unique seat tracks. The vinyl roof is not original.

Scott, the pan on my car has been replaced (thankfully) but that makes me wonder whether the replacement has correct seat tracks for a '62. Do you have any pictures of your pan with the seats out for reference.

When I get out to the workshop again on Thursday night, I will take a few pics of the pan and my seat rail setup.

Thanks

sctbrd Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:19 am

After a couple years (or more depending on time and luck) you can go from this

to this