TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First type 3 - 1968 Fastback with FI and Auto Page: 1, 2  Next
t-royR Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 am

I have owned beetles/bugs/ghias. I like the accessibility to the engine, and the ease of working on the engine. How different is the type 3 engines used in 1968 fastback (fuel injected and auto transmission).

Thanks
Troy

Mike Fisher Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:07 am

Buy a brown Bentley 68-73 Type 3 manual as a first step to potential ownership. My '69 FI/AT engine.

Donnie strickland Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:14 am

It's just as easy to access engine stuff on a Type 3. There's a wealth of fuel injection knowledge here, and the search function is your friend. Start by reading the FAQ's at the top, but bear in mind it's sometimes easier to ask specific questions if there's something in particular that you need to know about.

t-royR Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:23 am

thanks. just trying to decide if I want the fastback. if the engine is easy to work on and accessible, I think I'll take the leap!

chaosisme Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:16 pm

The engine is easy to work on, but I will say that on FI cars, the upper transmission bolts are hard to get to unless you remove the intake runners.

On a carbureted car, its easy to just take the aircleaner off, but the FI cars are a little trickier.

Other than that, no real difference.

t-royR Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:18 am

thanks for the info. I puchased the car. can't go wrong for $750.00, when there is no rust!

t-royR Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 pm

just bought a 69 fastback with auto tran and fuel injection.
The engine is out of the car at the sellers place.

I intend to move the engine in my utility trailer.
Thought I would lift it onto my dolly (it converts to a four-wheel horizontal cart), and strap it in good. What damage should I be sure to avoid in moving it?

Also, tranny is in the car. I'm moving it on a flat bed tralier. What should I look out for that may fall off/out?

Thanks
T-roy in MN

Mike Fisher Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Better follow all the advice we are giving No_Smoking since you both are in similar positions! :wink:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641710

t-royR Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:01 am

since the engine is already out of the car, before I move it, what do I need to do to the car before it is moved on a flatbed, and the tranny is in it? The links provided in the last post appeared to refer to removing the engine.

Rex lucy Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:22 am

He was refering to post titled towing an automatic transmission. read it all .. good info

Mike Fisher Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:27 am

Wire the dangling transmission up to a 2x4 board across the deck opening. Not good to leave it hanging without the engine for support.

No_Smoking Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:33 pm

For a second I was thinking you were buying the exact same 69 fastback I was looking into getting lol (the seller hasn't contacted me back in a few days to make arrangements to go pick it up)

But if you're in Minnesota, I should be safe! =D

t-royR Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Yep. In Minnesota.

Car and engine now safely home.

I posted some pics in the Fastback gallery.

No_Smoking Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:41 pm

t-royR wrote: I posted some pics in the Fastback gallery.

It looks awesome. Grats!

Mike Fisher Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:54 pm

That is a nice looking fasty! I wonder why the engine is out of it? Copy & Paste the (img) box on the upper right if you want to display a picture.

t-royR Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:17 am

I'm told the car stopped running 6 years ago. Then, was sold to the guy I bought it from. He cleaned some injector parts (don't know which ones). He said he did get it to turn over. Then, he wanted to continue working on the engine, so pulled it. Said I could put it in and expect it to start. I'll be going over it in detail this winter while it is still pulled from the car.

Donnie strickland Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 am

Hey, that looks nice!

t-royR wrote: Said I could put it in and expect it to start.

I'd take that with a few grains of salt. I hope it's that easy, but don't get frustrated if it's not. There's lots of knowledge on here to help you out.

t-royR Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks. I am looking forward to learning how the fuel injection works. I intend to use this forum a lot over the next many months, as I prepare that engine to get re-installed. I also have a great book that came with it on "how to keep your VW alive". I'll be picking up a Bentely manual as well.

t-royR Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 am

I do have one immediate question/need.
First thing I did was wash the dust off the car. the quickly helped me identify where I had bad window and trunk seals (not the preferred approach to finding these bad seals).

Anyway, I had water leaking into the dash and onto the floor of the passenger side. Looks like those vents just outside the windshield between the hood and the wipers(ventilation vents?) are to have something within them to prevent the rain-water from dripping into the dash. What part do I need and do I replace from the inside of the car?

Thanks

Troy

Bobnotch Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:04 am

t-royR wrote: I do have one immediate question/need.
Anyway, I had water leaking into the dash and onto the floor of the passenger side. Looks like those vents just outside the windshield between the hood and the wipers(ventilation vents?) are to have something within them to prevent the rain-water from dripping into the dash. What part do I need and do I replace from the inside of the car?

Thanks

Troy

It's not that simple. I say that, because it depends on where the leak is. If it's in the corners, it's the windshield. If it's more toward the center, it's the fresh air box seals. Keep in mind that you might actually have both leaks present.
A search of the forum will help you with replacing them.