TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: When was factory not producing ? Weekends Holiday vacation?
h~moto Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 am

Anyone knowledgeable with the goings-on of the factory? Was the factory shut down at night, during the weekends, German holidays, vacation? Did times of production change as VW grew? I read that the vacation was three weeks. Was it always three weeks?

mark tucker Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:41 am

NOW........ they has for sure screwed them selvs.

Harris Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:40 pm

h~moto wrote: Anyone knowledgeable with the goings-on of the factory? Was the factory shut down at night, during the weekends, German holidays, vacation? Did times of production change as VW grew? I read that the vacation was three weeks. Was it always three weeks?

Would like to know myself. I cannot imagine something as massive as VW back when being able to shut down even for a weekend. Vacation-yes and for maybe retooling. Unfortunately the old guys are gone who worked there.. There is one story on here about some ones grandfather who was a painter in the old days. Hard work for sure.

joe56vw Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:26 pm

i'm sure in the early days like the 40's maybe shutting down a day for a big holiday would have been possible but by the early to mid 50's they would have to have been running 24/7/365 to keep up with demand

itskyle Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:12 pm

h~moto wrote: Anyone knowledgeable with the goings-on of the factory? Was the factory shut down at night, during the weekends, German holidays, vacation? Did times of production change as VW grew? I read that the vacation was three weeks. Was it always three weeks?
Remember, vw had many factories throughout Germany, and later the world.

I'm guessing they had a lot more free time after the air cooled era was over.

Kyle

KTPhil Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 am

I'm not sure of the specifics of the VW factories, but often the retooling was done during the "shutdown" which was a misnomer, since a factory was incredibly busy changing over for the new model year while the "regular" workers were on vacation for most of August.