TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Restoring "The Cougar", a '64 rusty Notchback Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
ibldrc Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Good evening everyone.
I figure it's time to get the build thread going, since there's been a bit of work done, and some new parts paid for and received.
A bit about me...
My first car was a '71 Squareback at age 15 in Hawaii. At around age 22 I got stupid with the right foot and plowed it into a retaining wall, sold the motor to a bystander on the spot, and the car was gone.
Shortly thereafter I moved to CA and in my first week purchased another square in my first week and drove it for many years, doing all kinds of 80’s things to it that we just don’t do to cool classic VW’s anymore….
In the early 90’s I did a pan off restoration on a ’65 sunroof beetle, and kick myself to this day for selling it. BUT, when I sold that one I did end up with a near rust free ’56 Single cab. It was my only car, driving it daily, and when my son was born, it just didn’t seem like the practical car to be toting around an infant in, so it had to go.
There has always been a VW in the driveway for as long as I’ve been driving, and it only seems fitting that I’m still driving VW’s “wagon”…. An ’03 Jetta TDI.
So a few months ago, I find a request from a co-worker looking for someone to help him get his ’73 beetle running. Brakes are froze to the drum, and the car starts but won’t idle.
I end up going over to help, and 2 trips to his place later we’re driving it to the gas station. He’s happy, and I’ve got the damn aircooled addiction back to the surface again.
Being a Type 3 guy from the start, later in my years, and always dreamed of having a notch, I figure if I’m ever gonna make it happen, I’d better do it now.
SO.. I log on to the only place to find an aircooled VW… The SAMBA! (I’ve always known it was here, maybe subconsciously stayed away knowing what would happen??)
I start looking for a good project, but not much capital is budgeted for this at this time (we have flow, but not volume)…..
And I stumble across this one in the classifieds… not too far away

Now you really don’t have to be a genius to look at these pics and know that the best thing you can do is stay as far away from it as you can!
BUT… I had spent many days recently scouring through the Samba, looking at all the restorations, and after seeing guys like Flyertim with his ’57 Ohio Oval and Bert3’s Fasty , those two being my favorites, but certainly not the only, I figured it’s just time and money, and it’s really about the journey, right???
So I went up to Greenville, SC and bought it.

It’s all original, numbers matching front to back, 77000 original KM’s, red needle gauges, original wheels, and basically zero molestation except for the one extra shot of red paint, and what used to be a vinyl top that was added at the same time, to the roof and the front bonnet.
The roof has paid a hefty toll for this foolish decision, but I have plans…
I got her home and immediately began disassembly.

No, I have not cut the pans out…. They simply weren’t there anymore.

But hey… less bolts to have to fight with right??!
As for the ones you do have to fight with…. This stuff is your very best friend

There simply is no better penetrant available. Period.
I thought I had the original interior, and maybe got some crossover into ’64 with some S&P fabric

But some research and a couple back and forth emails with Gizmo Bob determined it to be a recover.
I simply cannot get myself to like the ’64 original pinstripe fabric, so I am planning to go with S&P if they’ll sell it to me. (need to do 2 cars… more on that soon)
Anyway, times up for tonight, I’m a bit ahead of the thread as far as the build goes, so I’ll work on catching up. Next post I’ll explain how she became "The Cougar”….
I know everyone likes pics, so here are few more pics to end this one with.

I have some more in the gallery, and more in the camera, will get caught up soon.

Nectar_F Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:23 am

I will be watching this....
looks like you have quite a lot of work in front of you, but all the power to you for saving another notch :D

what are your plans? full resto, or a nice driver, or.....?

Walter64 Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:08 am

Yes, alot of work ahead, good on you though.

Bobnotch Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:53 pm

ibldrc wrote: Good evening everyone.

Wow! I say that again WOW. I've taken on some rusty cars before, but man that ones seen better days. I sure hope you got it cheap enough, as it's going to need a ton of work and metal tossed at it. By the time you're done, you'll have Joel's (Boo-Koo-Z) phone number in your speed dial. :lol: :shock: But seriously, take a look thru the links in my signature, as I've delt with rust before (I have more pics in my gallery too).
I even started with this (with my son's help),

and finished with this (my son's car).

Needless to say these are a couple of old pics, as the car is currently in the shop getting a couple of updates, in preperation for a type 4 engine (out of a 914).

Good luck with your project, and keep us updated with pics (we like pics).

Bobnotch Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Oh, I forgot when I posted those 2 pics of yours that my first thought when I saw the hole in the roof (right side) was that it had a sunroof in it, as that's where they rust. But then I saw the hole up front, and read more of the text that it had a vinyl roof installed at some point. Bummer, as that'll be a difficult job to fix (along with the dash).

ibldrc Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Bobnotch wrote:
By the time you're done, you'll have Joel's (Boo-Koo-Z) phone number in your speed dial. :lol: :shock:....

Hi, Bob.
Funny you mention Joel... I'll be going out to his place during the holiday break in December to rummage through his loot. :lol:

Nectar_F wrote:
what are your plans? full resto, or a nice driver, or.....?

Full resto, back to original with the exception of a couple bolt on ideas I have to compliment the interior.

With one exception TBD later....
I may have to put in a ragtop if I can't get the roof correct though!! 8)
But I'll only do this if I can find a way to follow the contour. Most of the aftermarkets Ive seen are a flat assembly, and that's not gonna do it for me.
I've done some aluminum extrusion roll forming in my past employment, so that might work if I can find the right kit.

Real quick... "The Cougar"...
When I brought her home, she was immediately dubbed "The Mistress" (but we've all heard that one before...). I never bit into it but my wife had it dubbed already. Then, a few days ago I got my April 1964 Car and Driver magazine in the mail (someone posted one looking for offers in the classifieds on that "super rare" copy highlighting the '64 VW 1500, and I had it en route in 10 minutes from Google... rare indeed!).
We discussed the age of the car, and that's when the wife realized it was older than me. She originally thought it was a 1974, not a 1964! This one is a first week October '63 car.
So, now that it's known that the car is older than me, she's become "The Cougar" instead of the Mistress... :oops:

ibldrc Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Oh, I forgot when I posted those 2 pics of yours that my first thought when I saw the hole in the roof (right side) was that it had a sunroof in it, as that's where they rust. But then I saw the hole up front, and read more of the text that it had a vinyl roof installed at some point. Bummer, as that'll be a difficult job to fix (along with the dash).

I'm going to be using lots of the parts car!
Dash will get replaced, and pushbutton section moved to donor pc.
Every part of the car that touches the pan will be replaced.
My door sills are shot too, so I have not yet decided if I should just take the whole front clip, then move the inner doors to donor in order to accept the early door cards and attachments... and the front apron of course.

Oddly enough, my 3 bolt door pillars are perfect top to bottom, both sides. I was finally able to get both doors to free up on the hinges quite nicely, being diligent yet patient with the Kroil. So I still have not decided on that option yet.

ibldrc Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Bobnotch wrote:

PS... LOVE the roadster!

I had a '68 Fastback roadster project that never got finished back in the late 80's. The Fastback with the sloping rise in the back makes for a good roadster look!

Bobnotch Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:31 pm

ibldrc wrote: Bobnotch wrote:

PS... LOVE the roadster!

I had a '68 Fastback roadster project that never got finished back in the late 80's. The Fastback with the sloping rise in the back makes for a good roadster look!

Thanks. That (above) started out as a 65 Square though. Took a full 5 months of build time though. It's stilll around, just getting some "re-work now". 8)

ibldrc Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 am

Not too much going on since the last post. Mostly because I was on the road all weekend. 2200 miles round trip in approx. 60 hrs, and I brought this one home Sunday night... a '65 Variant S!

I’m gonna see if I can get it on the road to drive a bit while restoring the notch.
I did get a little work done on the pan. Started cleaning up the edges, found a bit of repair work to do on the center tube and frame head.. what a mess!

Got the engine up on the stand. It’s froze up after 40+ years of sitting, but it’s complete, and the oil was real clean

Then as I was wrapping up for the day, DELIVERY!! I got my funky green sheetmetal from Gerson/Monkeynut!

Granted, I’ve done a ton of cleanup, and have started cutting out the cancer, but getting new parts and preparing to install them means it’s really a restoration now, and not just disassembly!
Still miles to go, but it’s cool to put my hands on a clean, NEW part!
With that in mind, I also found a decent piece of OG paint, and gave it a quick polish… for those times that are sure to come when a shiny part of paint will lift the spirits and keep the momentum going!

oxsign Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Wow, got your hands full, but it's not impossible with patients, time, and money (lots of money). lol. I can't wait to see it all come together.

Tuff240 Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:14 am

Subscribed.

Good luck!

If you put a rag top in it, I have a ragtop notchback toy I'll give you if you finish the car. :wink:

ibldrc Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 pm

I got the rear apron removed. The top engine deck will be replaced, and I have a few areas in the duct that need cut out and replaced. I figured the best way to get in and stop the inside-out rust was to take it off, and prep the inside. I keep finding more and more to replace, but so long as I can find the parts that fit, should be no problem… right??? (grin)
I’m using the Harbor Freight spot weld cutter and a combination of drill sizes, as necessary. The ¼” drill seems to be the most common one used, and removes much less material than the HF cutter does. I’m trying to remove as little as possible, knowing it all has to get put back!
The Husky putty knife is doing a great job as a separator. It’s real thin, yet still stiff enough to give it a whack every now and then

bobnorman Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:49 am

Hey, this looks like it’s going to be a fun ride, I’ll jump aboard for it... I’ve had to move away from my Type 3 for a bit, but still like to follow others. All the best with it.

bobnorman Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:59 am

Quote: ...Then, a few days ago I got my April 1964 Car and Driver magazine in the mail (someone posted one looking for offers in the classifieds on that "super rare" copy highlighting the '64 VW 1500, and I had it en route in 10 minutes from Google... rare indeed!).

By the way, I just went looking for a copy after seeing this. Bought it in 5 minutes flat, paid less than 10 bucks shipping included!

ibldrc Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:48 pm

bobnorman wrote:

By the way, I just went looking for a copy after seeing this. Bought it in 5 minutes flat, paid less than 10 bucks shipping included!

Thanks for subscribing. I'll do my best to keep you entertained!

You'll enjoy the article. It's well worth it! Be sure to check out the classsifieds in the back... How about a mercedes gull wing for a whopping $5K!!
Where's that darn time machine?!

Jim Hunter Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 am

Subscribed :popcorn:

Awesome project!

GoMopar440 Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:28 pm

I've got a butchered up 1968 T3 that I'm getting ready to cut up for scrap. I don't need any of the sheet metal for my rail except the tunnel for the shifter and E-brake mounts. There's rust in the usual places for a car that has been up north (Montana) for a while. However it does look a bit better that what you've posted in your last set of pics. If you need any specific parts of the metal let me know and I can post some pics to see if you want it. I can't help you with the nose or the roof as I didn't get one with this car. You can have whatever you think you can use for the scrap weight price plus the cost of shipping. I've got some older pics of it in my rail thread in my sig.

EDIT: I went out and took some overall pics. Here's a link to the Photobucket album. Let me know if you need any pics of specific areas I didn't get.
http://s326.photobucket.com/user/GoMopar440/library/Butchered%20T3?sort=3&page=1

Here's a few of the pics.

PS: Anyone need some templates for the tar paper behind the shifter that goes on top of the tunnel? I don't know if it was the outside temps (high 20's) but these came off pretty much completely intact.

ibldrc Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:46 pm

It has become clear that my shop and carport are nowhere near ready for all the work that will need to be done! My workshop is basically set up for woodworking, and it’s already too small, so Sunday I decided to build a workbench along the side of the carport with some scrap lumber.

If only the car work would go as quickly! Anyway, we now have some space to work on things, and eventually will put some cabinets underneath.

I also pulled the carbs off the engine Sunday… “just to have a look”.. and it ain’t pretty.

How the heck to acorns get under the tins? The bellows was torn, but the plug wires were all in place.
Good thing I’m already planning a full rebuild.

Today I cleaned up all the rubber parts between the front end, body and pan. It’s nice to see that some of the original parts are useful!

Only 2 pcs of fender bead survived, but they cleaned up to a useable state as well. Will hope to find NOS, but will use them if I have to. I figure this is going to take a couple years to finish, so we’ll have some time to look out for them.

Nose trim seal cleaned up real nice too, but it’s about an inch short. Will it stretch back out? We’ll see.

I also got the visors cleaned up too so I can store them. They came out much better than I anticipated.

Before, as they came straight out of the car

And after, only took about 10 minutes with some mild soap and hot water.

I need the little retainer clips. Are they out there, or did I find another piece of unobtanium that I need?

What are the visors made of inside? Cardboard like the door cards? One of them feels all crunchy inside, but it still has shape.

My Tig welder is about half as old as the car is, and the water tank sprung a leak as soon as I fired it up, sso we’ll have that mess taken care of this week. Hoping to make some repairs on some steel this weekend.

Critter1 Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:34 pm

ISP West has the visor clips.